996xt will not decode P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
i am trying to help a guy up here in Montreal get his 996XT to work on the Montreal Fire Motorola P25 trunked system..
he just got the radio new from a dealer 2 weeks ago.. and has updated the Firmware to V1-07-03..
all conventional freqs work well as well a a couple of EDACS systems he has entered.
When it comes to the P25 system NOTHING comes in. he can't even get any noise on the control channels. he 1st entered all the channels manually..then he tried importing the system thru Freescan and nothing.. i then uploaded my working Freescan files and radio settings to his radio and his radio will not will still not pick up anything on the P25 system..

does anyone have any ideas why this is happenning? do you think the 996XT might be defective??

any suggestions are welcome... thanks in advance..

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Dumb question, but it actually scanning the system?

Can you try hitting the HOLD button so the scanner stops on a channel and then manually scroll up and down until you hear a control channel? If you can't pick up the CC then you won't hear any TGIDs on that system.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Dumb question, but it actually scanning the system?

Can you try hitting the HOLD button so the scanner stops on a channel and then manually scroll up and down until you hear a control channel? If you can't pick up the CC then you won't hear any TGIDs on that system.

Yup it is.. all the freqs are there and the T/Gs are there too.. when he holds he sees the freqs but not control channel sound and no control channel info.. yet EDACS & Conventional work fine

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
If you don't hear the control channel when stepping through the frequencies then the scanner won't decode anything. Either you have the wrong frequency for the control channel or you are too far away from the site.

hd625b

Premium Subscriber
I tend to agree that you are probably too far from the system to hear it. I raised my antenna another 15 feet and imported a San Diego P25 system from RadioReference / FreeSCAN and could hear nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.