996xt with unitrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thefish561

I know this has gone around many times however for whatever reason I am not understanding this. I have a 996xt and I have unitrunker installed on my laptop. Could someone please give me a step by step process for getting the info from the scanner into the laptop. I have the programming cable and the stereo cable on the back but cant seem to get anything to work. I use freescan to program it.Thanks in adavance

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you turn the control channel output option on?

Settings > Set C - Ch output

Keep in mind FreeScan forces CCO to be off, otherwise it cannot make a connection between it and the PC.

73 Mike

Last edited:

Thefish561

i have the rec set to out, my first question is do I use the programming cable or a stereo cable to connect the scanner to the computer?

Thefish561

thanks for the help so far. So i plug the programming cable to the usb on the computer and front port on the scanner and in unitrunker select the correct usb port, select scan of the system and I should be good to go? I am sorry for being so basic

tampatracker

Also make sure you have your scanner and unitrunker set to the same speed, and that should do it. Make sure you set up your setting screen in unitrunker to look like the one that's in the guide I sent you. Should be good to go.

Thefish561

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.459 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Ok, I have tried and still get nothing in ut. I plug the programming cable in the front "remote" connection, that goes to a serial to usb cable which plugs into the computer. Try selecting different inputs like both or inline and still get nothing. Would it be easier to use a stereo cable from the rear disc tap and then into the mic input?

BlueIce

Scanner Setup:
On the Scanner you also need to put C/Ch Output to "ON" and then hold on the control channel.
For BCD996XT when setting the C/Ch Output you need to select the output to either the front or back serial port.

Uni Tracker Setup:
Under Receiver Settings
Type: Inline
Model: BCD?96XT
Role: Signal
Run: Running (Switch after setting up the serial port)

Select the proper Serial Port (of the USB-1 cable) and Baud Rate (Set in the scanner), Data Bits normally 8 and Stop Bits are normally 1, Parity Bits normally None.

Hopefully that helps, if all goes well it will automatically start displaying. As of yet, I have not hooked the audio in.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to get it working with my 396XT, but to no avail. The program doesn't do anything. I have heard there may be a problem with XP machines recognizing the radio in Unitrunker.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have tried to get it working with my 396XT, but to no avail. The program doesn't do anything. I have heard there may be a problem with XP machines recognizing the radio in Unitrunker.

That is not true as I have used both my 396XT and 996XT with Unitrunker with several different laptops running XP. All run Unitrunker just fine when properly configured. :)
Are programming programs like Freescan able to communicate with the radio?
I know with a little help we can get ya up and running.:)
Which exact radio system are you trying to monitor with Unitrunker?
Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
Do you have the control channel programmed into the proper trunking system?
If you do a quick save the frequency or program it as a conv frequency it will not work with control channel decoding software.

Do you have the control channel programmed into the proper trunking system?
If you do a quick save the frequency or program it as a conv frequency it will not work with control channel decoding software.

AND the trunking system held (press HOLD) on the control channel frequency
AND your Receiver Type to: Inline
AND your Receiver Role to : Signal
AND your Receiver Run: to Running (click on the Stopped box and select Running)

among other things as mentioned like the com port, etc.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Downloaded the latest version of Unitrunker, and tried again. WOW! Finally got it working. What a great program. This is the place to find help and answers. RR rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.