996XT won't scan bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
All of a sudden my BCD996XT won't scan bank 3. I've gone through and checked the lockouts, everything seems to be correct, and the 3 even shows up on the screen when selected but says 'scan mode nothing to scan' I've tried assigning different bank numbers to it, copying it and assigning a different bank number, and still nothing. I'm stumped.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 350
Reset

All of a sudden my BCD996XT won't scan bank 3. I've gone through and checked the lockouts, everything seems to be correct, and the 3 even shows up on the screen when selected but says 'scan mode nothing to scan' I've tried assigning different bank numbers to it, copying it and assigning a different bank number, and still nothing. I'm stumped.

Try powering the scanner off and on.

This will clear any temporary lockouts.

Also, read here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Nothing_to_Scan

Last edited:

DHAS12

From the looks of it, you don't have any groups created. Try and connect your scanner to your pc and use free scan or something of the sort to set up your groups and systems.

DHAS12

Try holding the Function key down and pressing 1 to see of you can unlock the groups if you have them created.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Would this be a trunked system where you may have locked out the control channel frequencies?

(Most likely it's something very simple, just trying to find it will be the challenge).

rwier

" ...scan bank 3 .... bank numbers .... different bank number ... "

I did a search of the 996XT User Manual for the word "bank". The term "bankplan" appeared in the search results four times. I could not find a single instance of the manual using the "stand alone" word bank.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Just for GP's see if you can turn SYSTEM 3 off and get the *. if you can't then it has become what I call a Ghost key and has nothing programed for it.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
upload your data file so people cant take a look at it, i'm sure its something simple and shouldn't be hard to find.

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
I've had this scanner in my news van for 4 years. I'm the scanner guy here, I've programmed all of our 996s, This system is LAFD, with a single group containing all of the channels. The group shows its unlocked. What I did was create a new group, added a channel, saved it, and now the original group shows up, but the new group does not.

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 221

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
The group has always been QK 1 under System 3. Every scanner we have is set up exactly the same. Like I said, I created a second group, QK 2, added a channel, saved it, and all of a sudden group 1 shows up, and it doesn't show there's a group 2. It's weird, but it's working now.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This might be a little out in left field, but is there any chance of duplicate systems in your scanner making things appear differently?

If an upload to scanner is done without deleting systems or ovewriting systems with same name, a duplicate system can be written to the scanner. There could be a problem with the first, but cleared up by the second/duplicate.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I had a situation similar to that in the past. It did turn out to be something pretty simple and UPman helped. To fix the problem there was a quick step of button pushing either right after or as the scanner was turning on. There was some kind of system lockout that did not easily show up on the scanner screen. Possibly all the groups were locked out. Sorry if I am confusing you more but I know how frustrated you are. I felt the same way.

abalboa84

Try pressing the Function knob then rotate it. It should allow you to scroll through your systems. Once you get to your LAFD system it should allow you to toggle you groups on and off from there. Hit scan then you're good to go. I had this happen to me with my 396xt after accidentally disabling all groups in a system causing the dreaded "nothing to scan". Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.