A-10 Warthog faces elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
The A-10 “Warthog” is facing elimination. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel is proposing to eliminate funds for the venerable ground support aircraft in the Pentagon’s 2015 budget. The move would save $3.5 billion over the next five years, according to Secretary Hagel – money the Air Force needs to help pay for newer weapons, such as the F-35.
A-10 Warthog faces elimination. Will Congress save it again?

flythunderbird

Premium Subscriber
The Air Force has never really liked the A-10; it's not sleek, sexy, or fast like fighter aircraft. It may be outdated as far as technology goes, but so is the B-52, and the Air Force is talking about keeping the 52 flying for another 25 years yet(yeah, I know, different role, but still) ...

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
No current fighter has the protections for the ground support role that the A-10 has. As I recall, the A-10 has a titanium tub around the pilot?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Lots of talk about this down in Tucson where a whole bunch of people could lose their jobs if the A-10 goes bye-bye. But I think it's time has come. The Apache helicopter (also near and dear to folks down in the Tucson area) is a much more effective "tank killer" than the A-10. Besides, the battle field of today is quite different than it was when the A-10 was developed. Our enemies are using light SMG's, RPG's and roadside bombs these days, not driving around in tanks. We need to evolve and adapt to these changes also. Plus, since we are literally drowning in red ink, it makes no sense to keep spending money on weapons that are no longer as effective as they once were. Sucks for folks that make their living on the A-10 program, but nothing lasts forever, especially where the Pentagon is concerned.

-AZ

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
No current fighter has the protections for the ground support role that the A-10 has. As I recall, the A-10 has a titanium tub around the pilot?

Top notch aircraft for close in support and supporting ground troops. It also is better...in my opinion, than Apache helo's for clearing out enemy armor.

The A-10 is superior for ground support and supressing enemy advancement. It can attack from a safe altitude against enemy fortified positions, a fills a limited role in forward reconnaissance and observation.

After the way the A-10 proved itself in the first Gulf War - You would think that the powers to be would support the A-10 , and maybe even build more. The A-10 is far from living out its usefulness, and in my opinion, can still be upgraded and improved upon, with the avionics and weapons, that is constantly seing advancement and improvement in our military.

The A-10 can take a beating and still keep fighting. It can suffer moderate damage ( as previously proven in the first "Gulf War" ) and still complete its mission, returning home.

The A-10 is a tremendous asset to the United States. To scrap the A-10 would be a terrrible decision by our military leaders.

FF-Medic !!!

teufler

Premium Subscriber
As an old A-1 Skyraider pilot, its time came and was replaced by the A-10. The Navy never replaced the A-1 though its sound still rumbles in my head. Its a shame that the A-10 might be put out to pasture but something else will come along.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
I personally love the A-10. The shear sound of the beast is what makes the enemy think twice before advancing. It's seen combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Does anyone know if the Specter Gunship takes out tanks? I have played with one in a game called Call Of Duty and if the game is right I was able to take out tanks and cars. Could the Specter Gunship replace or pull up the slack of the A-10 I wonder? I know the Apache is a tank killer, but I worry those damn RPGs could take 'em out like we saw in Black hawk Down in Mogadishu. But then again the AH-64 loiters higher in the air so it would be in towns or urban environments where the AH-64 could fall victim to a RPG.

Here's a pretty good video on the A-10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGcn2XGr48

Last edited:

PACNWDude

I know a large number of current and recently retired A-10 drivers. They don't want to see it go. I for one am glad that when I sent a 9-line, often times it was an A-10 in bound. The quietness of them flying into the area, and the devastation they can send to the enemy, can't be done with a helicopter.
I hope there is something in the works that can do this job, since it is not the F-22. Although, with JDAM's being carried by B-52's, close air support became a lot more fun.

Recently retired Air Force ground pounder.

kayn1n32008

ÆS, I put that shøt on everything.
I know a large number of current and recently retired A-10 drivers. They don't want to see it go. I for one am glad that when I sent a 9-line, often times it was an A-10 in bound. The quietness of them flying into the area, and the devastation they can send to the enemy, can't be done with a helicopter.
I hope there is something in the works that can do this job, since it is not the F-22. Although, with JDAM's being carried by B-52's, close air support became a lot more fun.

Recently retired Air Force ground pounder.

That and the sound of the GAU-8... I bet any red-force would have soiled shorts being near a strafing run... The intimidation factor is worth keeping the A-10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CapStar362

lets not forget the durability of older machines....... anyone remember the A-10 that lost a right tail fin, right engine and half the right wing root spar and still made it home?

all due to a SAM and some 30mm AA Cannon fire

KE5TLF

Oh joy, this again. They should have taken these away from the USAF long ago and given them to a branch that actually APPRECIATES them. (USMC of Army) The USAF has NEVER "wanted" these, since day one, and obviously every day since.

The "high maintenance" cost reasoning is a totally bogus fabrication too...

PACNWDude

Some of us AF guys love the A-10. I would have one in my garage right now if I thought I could have packed one off while retiring. They did strafing runs for me all the time while calling in air.

I would fund the maintenance on one of them out of my own pocket if we end of in Ukraine.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

IIRC, there was an idea floated of turning them over to Special Operations Command (USAF? Army? Joint?), rather than have them in Air Combat Command. I understand that SpecOps guys love them.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
teufler, who did you fly with? I had an old friend who flew with VA-25 in 1964-1965. He has a 1/2 kill of a Mig-17 he bagged while on Rescap.

bpckty1

A couple of years ago, I spoke with a USAF retiree who said that the machines to make more A-10s were destroyed after the contract ran out. So, for now, we must use faster, more expensive, fighters, or rely on the army assets. Nothing like bureaucracy foresight in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.