A better car scanner tablet dock - than my last build

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowave15

This is another take on a car dock for a tablet scanner. The materials were basic stuff and the project came together pretty well. With a few scanner apps almost any area can be followed - and listened to very cheaply compared to the cost of multiple scanners. There's no need to pay a monthly fee for mobile wi-fi; the Fox-Fi app works very well.

I always do YouTube videos of these installations:

Easy Android Car Tablet Installation - YouTube

Dan

Attachments

• TabFramGoodSet124.jpg
    TabFramGoodSet124.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,735

radiowave15

Update to car installation - Cleaner Mount Bracket

This idea worked well - it held the tablet really firmly and looked pretty good, although I didn't like seeing the gaps between the wood and the Plasti-Dip was not holding well. So I refinished the mount with epoxy and put on a few coats of different paints to match the dash. Looks much more finished now.

Here's the YouTube video as well.

Android Car Tablet - Update - - YouTube

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• finishedcartabframe022.jpg
    finishedcartabframe022.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,211

radiowave15

Thanks guys for the replies - been travelling for the last week or so so I haven't been able to respond easily. The tablet mount is just held in place due to a snug fit. It can't slide down because the side panels are V shaped, it can't go up because of the ridge at the top, and it can't go left or right because it's set between the side wings. It leans forward due to the natural lean of the frame so the only place it could possible go would be back but it is a very snug fit; I used little felt fuzzy stickers on the sides of the mount that hold it very well in place. I've thrown the car all over the place and it's rock solid. I suppose some velcro could really make it tight but for my purposes it's real strong.

I'll have to look into that scanner app mentioned.

Thanks,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.