A bit of news on the R8600 / R30

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
FYI... I was recently at the Orlando hamfest and asked the Icom rep about the new receiver (which was not on display in Orlando). She indicated that Icom was hoping to have a demo/display unit available for the Dayton hamfest in May. She did NOT yet have any information on the eventual US pricing.

John AC4JK

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much the same conversation I had with Fred Osterman of Universal Radio last Saturday. He was hoping that it would come in under $2k, but he said he was clueless as to what it will actually be and when.

--
Mike

MStep

Early information that the R8600 would not include DMR decoding is troubling--- I hope that this is an oversight in the currently published specs.

Regarding the price--- an interesting observation is that the matching speaker includes the power supply necessary to run the unit. This will no doubt increase the price for some individuals looking at the unit (likely by about 300 USDs - just my guess) --- I wonder if Icom plans on producing a matching speaker minus the built in power supply as a less costly accessory.

digsatman

Early information that the R8600 would not include DMR decoding is troubling--- I hope that this is an oversight in the currently published specs.

Regarding the price--- an interesting observation is that the matching speaker includes the power supply necessary to run the unit. This will no doubt increase the price for some individuals looking at the unit (likely by about 300 USDs - just my guess) --- I wonder if Icom plans on producing a matching speaker minus the built in power supply as a less costly accessory.
I too really hope this is an oversight. Here in the UK, the price is likely to be around £2500. It really needs to have DMR to justify the price. I will stick to the IC-R8500 for general reception and the AOR-DV1 for digital. It may be that DMR could be added later by ICOM as it uses DSP for decoding but I would want to see something in writing before putting my money down!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Andy3

Oh dear, I was looking very seriously at this receiver, but here in the UK an awful lot of digital radio uses DMR. It's no good to me without it!

digsatman

I'd say DMR is probably more important than D-Star in UK. I am in Birmingham and we have several DMR repeaters but not a single D-Star repeater. Lots of people now using dongles seems to have led to the demise.

MStep

I too really hope this is an oversight. Here in the UK, the price is likely to be around £2500. It really needs to have DMR to justify the price. I will stick to the IC-R8500 for general reception and the AOR-DV1 for digital. It may be that DMR could be added later by ICOM as it uses DSP for decoding but I would want to see something in writing before putting my money down!

In terms of firmware upgrades on these co-called SDR's, and based more upon my experience with the AOR DV1 than with any other SDR, firmware upgrades (holding future promises for additional modes) seem to be few and far between.

To be on the safe side, and regardless of what the manufacturer promises to add later via firmware (in writing or otherwise), I would say that they only way to approach the purchase of such an expensive piece of equipment is essentially "what you see is what you get".

One should buy based solely on what is specified in the current offering, and not on promises that may or may not materialize in the future.

compuscan

In terms of firmware upgrades on these co-called SDR's, and based more upon my experience with the AOR DV1 than with any other SDR, firmware upgrades (holding future promises for additional modes) seem to be few and far between.

To be on the safe side, and regardless of what the manufacturer promises to add later via firmware (in writing or otherwise), I would say that they only way to approach the purchase of such an expensive piece of equipment is essentially "what you see is what you get".

One should buy based solely on what is specified in the current offering, and not on promises that may or may not materialize in the future.

I agree 100%, it looks like a nice radio and I'm sure it will be hot seller BUT if the radio don't have what you want in it right now, it's probably not for you. I would not buy it if I needed DMR and they have not announced that it will include DMR. I would buy it if I needed DMR and ICOM announced they would included it in a future update. Most companies are very good about doing what they say they will do including ICOM.

Andy3

Very doubtful that ICOM will support DMR any time soon.

They wouldn't be doing themselves any favours by excluding it. Here in the UK and in continental Europe DMR is used extensively, more so than NXDN and APCO25. As it's only a software difference I can't see why they wouldn't do it.

digsatman

Not good if a £2500 all-singing, all-dancing receiver won't do DMR or Fusion. Will stick with my AOR-DV1 and 8500. They're just limiting the appeal of what could otherwise be an attractive product.

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
Icom does not support DMR and it will not be in their radios, ever. Nor will they ever have Fusion. Two standards that they won't have in their radio, nor will they pay the license fees. So those waiting for DMR on this radio, well don't wait, it will never happen. Same with Fusion.

phillmobile

They wouldn't be doing themselves any favours by excluding it. Here in the UK and in continental Europe DMR is used extensively, more so than NXDN and APCO25. As it's only a software difference I can't see why they wouldn't do it.

All the main digital trunk systems that i know of in the uk are NXDN not dmr

Status
Not open for further replies.