A Cautionary Tale, or How an Amateur Planespotter Sparked Nuclear Dread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

i would think, at this point, morons freaking out over nothing is so routine that it should hardly be considered news.

frankly i wish the author would have further investigated this:

I spotted four aircraft heading southeast. The software said they took off from Baltimore Washington International and were heading to Salisbury Regional Airport.

The flight tracking software showed the aircraft flying in pairs, almost in formation. Making things stranger, two of the planes (one in the lead and a few miles behind) were listed as Cessna 208 Grand Caravans, but the other two planes were listed as Ceiba Airlines flight. For the record, Ceiba is an airline based in Equatorial Guinea, off the African coast. Pretty sure they didn’t have any aircraft flying over Maryland’s eastern shore this week."

Last edited:

ecps92

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The Matador, I'm the Matador. Anybody remember what famous movie that came from in the early 60s? Hint, it dealt with faulty aircraft tracking software at SAC.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The Matador, I'm the Matador. Anybody remember what famous movie that came from in the early 60s? Hint, it dealt with faulty aircraft tracking software at SAC.

Fail Safe? Memory is a bit fuzzy...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep Failsafe, I think it was 1961, excellent film, everyone here would enjoy it and I'll say no more, no spoilers.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Yep Failsafe, I think it was 1961, excellent film, everyone here would enjoy it and I'll say no more, no spoilers.

One of the more intense films I have ever seen. There was also a "live" remake of it, I think around 2000, that included Richard Dreyfuss I believe as the president. It didn't live up to the original but given that it was a live performance it was pretty good. I think George Clooney was in it also.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
One of the more intense films I have ever seen. There was also a "live" remake of it, I think around 2000, that included Richard Dreyfuss I believe as the president. It didn't live up to the original but given that it was a live performance it was pretty good. I think George Clooney was in it also.
Oh as most remakes are it wasn't even close to the original. For this group in particular with the knowledge people have and the familiarity with the systems per se I recommend the original. Treat yourself.

Henry Fonda plays the president of the United States, a young Larry Hagman plays his Russian interpreter and Walter Matthau as the cynical nuclear defense strategy consultant.

They don't make them like they used to. LOL

PS- I almost forgot Dom DeLuise plays an Air Force sergeant who is a counter measure expert. Most serious role he ever played. Enjoy.

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Oh as most remakes are it wasn't even close to the original. For this group in particular with the knowledge people have and the familiarity with the systems per se I recommend the original. Treat yourself.

Henry Fonda plays the president of the United States, a young Larry Hagman plays his Russian interpreter and Walter Matthau as the cynical nuclear defense strategy consultant.

They don't make them like they used to. LOL

PS- I almost forgot Dom DeLuise plays an Air Force sergeant who is a counter measure expert. Most serious role he ever played. Enjoy.
And black & white too, which lent to the dramatic effect.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
If nothing else, it's worth a chuckle:

Which is the funny part?

Speculation, or government propaganda press release?

Some actions are signals only.

Did the Russians shoot down one of our super-secret high-altitude reconnaissance plane inside their borders?

Our President himself denied it.

Then the Russians produced the pilot who very inconveniently survived.

The “rebuttal” itself isn’t honest AS a rebuttal. It’s of but ONE line of speculation, and presented overblown, at that. (The form of a lie).

How tax moneys are spent is a Constitutional requirement. Secrecy is limited to ongoing foreign relations only. And is then subject to review by the Senate.

“Doesn’t have the budget”, is contempt. Signal.

You’re being played from both ends (is the game).

A E6 Mercury is a signal and much more

On 9-11 the President literally disappeared, and the Vice President was in charge of national security from an undisclosed location.

Think an E6 was scrambled that day? Other nuclear powers are alerted in advance it takes off.

“Signal sent” has little or nothing to do with powerless American voters. What’s said to be “routine” is after-the-fact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.