A couple of 536HP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Now that have my 536HP, did I read right that the date/time and other functions are maintained by a battery that will only hold the information for about a week? Isn't this a giant step back? I have my 536 plugged in 24/7,, couldn't Uniden have made is so that the scanner could draw some power from the A/C power and the batteries only kick in during a power outage?

Every time I turn the 536 on, it prompts me if I should use the SD card? Can't this be a programmed setting so by default it always looks to the SD card?

Thank you.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Now that have my 536HP, did I read right that the date/time and other functions are maintained by a battery that will only hold the information for about a week? Isn't this a giant step back? I have my 536 plugged in 24/7,, couldn't Uniden have made is so that the scanner could draw some power from the A/C power and the batteries only kick in during a power outage?

Every time I turn the 536 on, it prompts me if I should use the SD card? Can't this be a programmed setting so by default it always looks to the SD card?

Thank you.

The battery keeps the clock only, all data and settings are on the SD card.

Do you have the USB cable plugged in all the time?

JamesO

The RTC (Real Time Clock) probably has some sort of large capacitor that keeps the RTC running when the scanner has no power. For these radios, I assume as long as there is either a battery for the hand held or AC power connected the RTC draws power from the main power source. The RTC just has a back up for longer durations when there is no battery or AC power. I have not confirmed if the RTC will stay powered if the radio is turned off, but still has power for extended periods as my radios rarely are turned off for extended periods.

Your 536HP should not be prompting you for using the SD card. Like the other person asked, do you have a USB cable connected to a computer full time? The display gives 2 options when connected via USB, Mass Storage or USB Cable?? So do you get 2 choices?

Do not have a USB connection to the front panel and you should not get a prompt for Mass Storage.

There have been some questionable SD cards popping up as well.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies

No, I do not have the USB cable connected to my computer when I start the Scanner. I am using the MicroSD card that came with the scanner, and it prompts me USB or SD Card.

As for power. I do not have the scanner powered on continiously. The scanner sat for about a week between uses when I was prompted to enter the date & time. It would seem to me that once the scannner is plugged into an A/C source, the battery can charge regardless if the scanner is on or off. Just like My 396XT that charges while the scanner is off.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What is the exact prompt? The prompt when the USB cable is plugged in is "USB Cable Connected. Select USB Mode. Mass Storage=E". Serial Port = "."

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Why isn't there a tiny lithium ion battery in these scanners to retain the clock setting? Don't these batteries last, like, years?

Status
Not open for further replies.