A decent result using longer delay time while listening to a TRS on the Uniden BCD396

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I noticed that while using a longer delay time on my 396 that it helps quite a bit in not missing anything, Especially when there is low signal, I have realized that it if the signal drops and there isn't a decent delay time, There won't be long enough for the scanner to pick it up again, and therefore will continue scanning, Possibly missing an important reply.

What's everyone else's thoughts and experience in the specific matter???

rdale

Premium Subscriber
What you'll notice is that transmissions from other than the trunked system will be missed or delayed.

Portable14

Banned
rdale said:
What you'll notice is that transmissions from other than the trunked system will be missed or delayed.

When I'm listening to a trunked system, I'd rather hear that, then something conventional come over my 396 (Unless it's P25) because I have a pro-528 that I use for the conventional/analog stuff.

So it all works out in the end.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm confused about the point of the thread then :) If you deselect all analog channels and make the system hold time 255 - you'll be set...

ScannerWayne

Hold and Delay Times

Longer delay times can definately be a benifit in not missing an important reply. I have played with mine over the past few weeks and finally settled on 4 seconds as an optimal time to delay on a channel. I have a 396T by the way. If there isn't a whole lot going on I will set the delay onger and if there is a lot going on I will reduce the delay accordingly. I have been known to set the delay time to "0" because there is a lot going on. I have also been known to set the delay to 10 seconds or more, but that doesn't happen very often.

As someone mentioned setting the hold time for the system can make a difference as well. When I am scanning multiple systems I set all of them to have a hold time of "0" so that they each get equal scan time. When I am scanning a single system I set the hold time for the system to 255. This keeps the scanner from checking for the control channel so often, which can lead to missing transmissions.

For those using handheld scanners it's well worth your time to learn how to use the menue system manually. Make changes on the fly when not much is going on. That way when something exciting is going on you can make changes quickly.

Wayne...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.