A good antenna for Hp-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cak177

I just bought a new Hp2 and love it. I'm looking for a good all around antenna to mount outside ? I'm listening to mostly Fd & Ems on trunk and P25 systems. Can anyone recommend something affordable?

Thanks,
Chris

K1IWN

I just bought a new Hp2 and love it. I'm looking for a good all around antenna to mount outside ? I'm listening to mostly Fd & Ems on trunk and P25 systems. Can anyone recommend something affordable?

Thanks,
Chris

I hate to answer a question with more questions, but the information you supplied here Chris is a bit vague...

What MHz range are the trunk systems?

What MHz range are the P25 systems?

Beyond those systems, is there any other MHz range you'd like to get?

Do you live in an urban, suburban, or rural setting?

What range (miles away) are you trying to listen to?

Are you looking for a roof mount antenna?

What is your price range to invest in an antenna?

Answers to those questions will help get you what you want.

marksmith

If you are listening to mostly trunked or p25 systems, the antenna that came with it should be sufficient.

Trunked or P25 systems (particularly p25) are engineered to be received within their service areas. Typical trunked systems have a max range of 30-50 miles, and the stock antenna should receive that.

Not to say that a Motorola system in a neighboring county won't come in a little better with a base antenna, but the improvement might not be as much as you would expect. Definitely not for a p25 system.

If you still want to go ahead with an exterior antenna, consider the following....

The antenna is only one part. The cable you use to go from the radio to the antenna is more important than the antenna, if it will have any significant run distance.

The antenna needs to be above all surrounding structures to significantly improve the signal. This is a roof antenna or one on a high pole.

You need to make sure you have an excellent grounding system to protect your radio.

Finally, the answers to the questions in the above post will help define what antenna to look at and how much it will help. The more remote you are, the more likely it will help.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.