Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hey folks, good comments here.

Couple notes and feedback.

First, Cityfreq.com is just a old dump of the FCC database into an static html indexable site with lots of ads. In the beginning, google indexed that entire site and I bet they were making a pretty penny on advertising sincemost searches 3 years ago had cityfreq at the top. I'm not sure how successful they are now, but I'm sure they are still pulling in some ad revenue since folks are still stumbling across it.

AntennaSearch.com is a nice site, however I'm planning on releasing this same level of functionality for the radioreference.com site except with more features. You'll be able to choose a radius to search from a specific point, a specific lat/long, USGS feature, or address. In addition, I'll provide you a google map where you can draw where you want to search for FCC data and get a nice response custom response. I've written most of the Google Maps code, SQL, and math etc required to do the searches, it's just a matter of touching it up, optimizing the queries a little more, and writing the interface.

Right now the queries take an average of 9 secs... so there is some work to be done there.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Lindsay: that is going to be an awesome feature!! Keep up the great work :D

radiopro52

I used AntennaSearch.com and did find some frequencies that RR doesn't list, but they're pretty much useless anyway since most, if not all, of them are very low power. Some don't even have a mile radius with an output power of less than 1.000.

Anyway, yeah that sound like a great feature, Lindsay. Any estimate on when that feature may be available? It would be very helpful.

tj20

Yes cityfreq.com is very helpful, I am really impressed with their spelling of Abilene, Texas

Abileene, TX
Abiline, TX

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
tj20 said:
Yes cityfreq.com is very helpful, I am really impressed with their spelling of Abilene, Texas

Abileene, TX
Abiline, TX

Cityfreq doesn't spell anything, they just reprint the data they have, as they get it. If the license applicant misspells a city name, it will appear in the FCC database misspelled, and also in cityfreq and anyone else who uses the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.