A good map

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

What is a good map to use to find the radius of where you live, ? looking for a map that I can put my zip or miles in from were I live so I know what and how far I can pick up .

KG4DRF

A lot of what you pick up will depend on what system they are using and how much transmitting power they put out. Have city, about 15 miles max from here to tower, that cannot pickup(Motorola trunking system) but can listen to dispatch and units over 100 miles away in N GA. My suggestion is inquiring with local scanner listeners in your area to get a better idea of what you will actually hear compared to what you hope to hear. Hope this helps.

medic9351301

Banned
also depends on your antenna system, scanner etc , the newer unidens suck on vhf. i have a old bcd785 thats blows them out of the water. heck its better than my 2 meter ham mobile on vhf . if your wanting to hear a true p 25 system i would invest in a sds 100 or 200 . my local county wide p 25 simulcast requires constant tweeking of a inside ant . if its a simulcast p 25 system i would find a stand alone tower and hope and pray you can hear what u want to hear. for me what i want to listen to is the entire county. so i am stuck with a simulcast. also conditions play a role in it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Factory antenna on a handheld scanner in a house.
#1 Conventional (non-trunked P25, NXDN, DMR, Analog) about 15 miles.
#2 Trunking Systems 15 Miles from the Tower Site Location.
Factory Antennas are short range some transmitters may work longer distances due to POWER and HEIGHT.
More range is achieved by outside antenna and low loss coax.

eddiemax

What is a good map to use to find the radius of where you live, ? looking for a map that I can put my zip or miles in from were I live so I know what and how far I can pick up .

I use Google Earth Pro to measure distance etc. Use the ruler on the toolbar and choose circle and miles. The radius is measured from the point you place your mouse as a beginning point. You can slide it in or out to measure different radius distances from the point of beginning.81292

GeekNJ

Definitely late to the discussion and maybe I misunderstand what you were looking for but normally you would set the distance on the scanner to 0, assuming you enter your zip code or lat/long. 0 means any frequency the database identifies as covering your location will be included. Adding a distance is adding range on top of what the database thinks covers your location. Adding a distance will include frequencies you might not be able to hear which means it's scanning extra stuff and not scanning the stuff you can likely pull in.

Status
Not open for further replies.