PSR500/PSR600: A hardware/software project idea that needs some help

KC5GSP

When I am in the car I have to leave my PSR 500 in the cup holder. I cannot always tell what agency is transmitting and I cannot look down to see what is on the radio display. I know there are remote control programs that run on PCs but that is not a viable option in my car. I am thinking of using a Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or some other microcontroller to get data from the radio and decode it and then send it to a 16 character by 2 line LED display I can set on the dash. Has anyone tried doing this before? I may have the programming skills once I know what is needed. However, I am lacking in the needed digital interface skills. If anyone can direct me to some plans along this line or knows of someone who has done something like this, it will be greatly appreciated.

/73 KC5GSP

tvengr

Well Known Member
There are scanner holders that you can mount on your dash so you can keep the display and keypad right in front of you and also raise the scanner antenna up to window level for better reception.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
:) Gorilla glue to the steering wheel (but then you can only really read it when your going STRAIGHT(?)! LOL :)

and an airbag inflation (explosion?) could be tough on a persons body. They even teach kids to drive with hands on the 5 and 8 position on the wheel to reduce its effects.
:(
Thanks,
Joel

Ubbe

I'm of the opinion that using existing devices that are designed to be used in a vehicle are more appropriate to use than a self made device. Creating a mobile phone app you will already have a display that change it's light and contrast to adapt to different environmental conditions and a display type that functions in a vehicle.

/Ubbe

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
To answer the OP's question: your first step is to make the data connection between the radio and the microcontroller. Assuming an Arduino...you need to create a working connection from the PSR-500's USB port to the Arduino's serial or I2C ports. Then, get familiar with the PSR-500's serial protocol, and then write software on the Arduino to successfully receive data packets from the radio. This is not trivial assuming you've never worked with serial interfaces and the software skills needed for implementing serial protocols. But if you can get past that point, then displaying the data on a (for example) 20x2 LCD display is the easy part.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
You should post a picture of your dashboard or list the year/make/model of your vehicle. That would make recommendations easier.

Also, in the event of a collision, anything mounted on the dash may become a projectile.

Oh, and welcome to posting with the RR gang!

CycleSycho

and an airbag inflation (explosion?) could be tough on a persons body. They even teach kids to drive with hands on the 5 and 8 position on the wheel to reduce its effects.
:(
Thanks,
Joel

;) Joel, it was meant to be a joke... Of course the next extension would have been 'Of course you have to glue it as to not cover the airbag...' See? While we are at it, the PSA for the day is to pay attention to the road and only GLANCE at your IP, and to continue to 'scan' your three mirrors. Distracted drivers with todays complicated dashboards are a bane to everyone who must pay higher premiums for the idiots that play with all their devices and phones. ;)