A (Hopefully) Helpful Tip To Any Scanner Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleswings01

Hi Everyone,

Although I demonstrate this tip on a PSR-310, it can apply to any scanner with a customizable welcome screen, which is why I posted this video here.

It only takes a couple of minutes to set up, but it could save you hundreds of dollars if you ever lose your scanner. I hope it helps someone!

Grecom PSR-310 Emergency Contact Information

Best wishes,
Mike

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I have my name, phone number, and public safety agency I work for on my Uniden welcome screens.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have my name, street address, zip code & phone number on all of the welcome screens on all of my scanners.

Not sure how good of an Idea that is. If someone swipes one of your scanners from your car or it gets lost somewhere... now they know where you live.

I think it would be an open invitation for that someone to visit your house when you're not home and help themselves to more scanners, and what ever else.

Just a thought.

K9WG

Not sure how good of an Idea that is. If someone swipes one of your scanners from your car or it gets lost somewhere... now they know where you live.

I think it would be an open invitation for that someone to visit your house when you're not home and help themselves to more scanners, and what ever else.

Just a thought.
I agree, that is why I just use an email and/or cell phone number. Neither traceable to my address.

SlyFerret

When I saw that my new Pro-106 supported a custom welcome screen, this was the first thing I thought of to.

Mine just says: "Property of: [My name] [My Callsign] [My email]"

Hopefully if I ever misplace it, somebody will have the decency to contact me.

-SF

scannerboy01

I've noticed that the welcome screen on the PSR-500 doesn't stay on for very long. I don't know how a person would be able to get the owner's information without turning it on a few times to get it all. I think that would be a great idea if you take your scanner with you to lots of places, but I mostly leave mine at home or if I do take it, it usually never leaves my sight or hand.

eagleswings01

Hi Rt,

You know, I'm honestly not sure on that. The 310 is my first "real" scanner, so I still have loads to learn myself. It would be a worthy question in the Uniden forum though!

Good luck,
Mike

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi Rt,

You know, I'm honestly not sure on that. The 310 is my first "real" scanner, so I still have loads to learn myself. It would be a worthy question in the Uniden forum though!

Good luck,
Mike

Okay,thanks for replying.

ScannerWayne

396T and 396XT both can be set up the same way: Through software only.

Both of mine have Name and Cell number.

Never thought to offer a reward though. That would increase the odds considerably that the finder would call. Good idea...

Wayne...

eagleswings01

Thanks for your encouragement Wayne. As long as it helps anyone at all, I am happy to have helped!

Mike

jonny290

my 396 banner reads:

<Firstname Lastname>
phone number
email address
REWARD FOR RETURN

Maybe it'll work if I'm ever that unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.