A la cart UNIDEN???

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

OK so up man is was "over there" this week.
We all just installed new firmware allowing for a la cart features in our 396/996.

Does this follow?

I wonder if uniden is actually testing the a la cart feature system on the 396/996 which will be available on the next radio.

OK so we buy the next gen hardware and in an effort to keep the price down they cripple it by making it a base for a whole bunch of cool features which if we want we have to pay for maybe in the form of packages? Buy the feature package you need only. One may have apco 25 and trunking another may have D-Star and no trunking....
See what I mean. This way we pay say $300 for the hardware and anything up to $200 more on the features we want to buy.

I have a feeling about this. But then again I have been way wrong before.
Yaesumofo

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Its possible
but if the unit doesnt come with trunking im not paying $300 or anywhere close hehe

That would also be a way to only build ONE MODEL (thus save money) then have people who need extras pay for it

For now it looks like the 396 and 996 will be upgraded

Viper43

Oh come on.... why is everyone making some conspiracy out of Upman going to Asia and Japan (which by the way he just left Saturday and will gone til the 21st). Since he IS the project manager he probably doing amongst other things production line checking or other things involving the present models, who knows, it could involve future upgrades to the present group of scanners. I'm sure that Uniden has some plans in mind about upgrades to the present scanners or they wouldn't go through the ESN stuff for the 396 & 996.

yaesumofo

OK Paul can this be too far off?
A scanner with the ability to trunk and decode multiple digital modes and has diversity...and lots of memory.
Add to these hardware features the ability to pick and choose features sounds like a good idea to me.

If you ask me this is a good direction to go in. And the 396/996 make for a good test bed for the a la cart system...
Call me crazy but really Paul can this be that far off?
Yaesumofo

Upmann said:
He certainly isn't getting much sleep. :eek:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:
I wonder if uniden is actually testing the a la cart feature system on the 396/996 which will be available on the next radio.

Why would he fly there to test it? Can't imagine too many APCO P25 systems or mixed modes in that part of the world :) Wouldn't it make more sense for them to spend $10 to ship one over vs $5000 to fly UPMan out?

Deeke

rdale said:
Why would he fly there to test it? Can't imagine too many APCO P25 systems or mixed modes in that part of the world :) Wouldn't it make more sense for them to spend $10 to ship one over vs $5000 to fly UPMan out?

I hope that's not a pound per pound comparison !.!.!

yaesumofo said:
OK Paul can this be too far off?
A scanner with the ability to trunk and decode multiple digital modes and has diversity...and lots of memory.
Add to these hardware features the ability to pick and choose features sounds like a good idea to me.

If you ask me this is a good direction to go in. And the 396/996 make for a good test bed for the a la cart system...
Call me crazy but really Paul can this be that far off?
Yaesumofo

Don't think your going to get much of an answer on that. Those would be trade secrets as to whats coming next. Wouldn't want the competition to know just yet. I'm sure Uniden has a pretty good idea already as to whats going to happen or what they want to happen. Just like the updates we can only sit back and speculate and wait. Its going to be another interesting ride.

yaesumofo

What I meant and I guess I was not clear.
Uniden is testing the system on US NOW with the new firmware.
Call it a preview or what is to come in the next gen system...maybe.
Yaesumofo

rdale said:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:
What I meant and I guess I was not clear.
Uniden is testing the system on US NOW with the new firmware.

No, they've been testing for a while with their beta team.

I still don't get how you can correlate UP taking a trip overseas as just a scanner demo...

800crazy1

paul ....please just tell us all you know , why did you go to asia , where did you stay while there , what color your socks were for everyday you were there / what you had for breakfast -dinner - deserts / what color is the next scanner , does it include decryption for encryption , voice descrambler , provoice , ........ kidding , hope your trip is a good one.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is business, I assure you. Hong Kong Electronics Fair, then multiple category (not just scanner) meetings at our corporate headquarters.

I had spaghetti for lunch today (well, yesterday). And the chef had no ability to descramble my eggs, either. I think this was due to the Egg Consistency Preference Act (ECPA). :)

The speculation is fine, I get some great ideas just by hanging out. I also get some great surprises when I see features we've just decided to develop (after months of discussion) suddenly start being discussed on these boards.

Highpockets

UPMan said:
It is business, I assure you. Hong Kong Electronics Fair, then multiple category (not just scanner) meetings at our corporate headquarters.

I had spaghetti for lunch today (well, yesterday). And the chef had no ability to descramble my eggs, either. I think this was due to the Egg Consistency Preference Act (ECPA). :)

The speculation is fine, I get some great ideas just by hanging out. I also get some great surprises when I see features we've just decided to develop (after months of discussion) suddenly start being discussed on these boards.

Your pretty neat! You know just how much, and to word it to make these guys go nuts! Enjoy yourself, you deserve it!!! :D

UPMan said:
I also get some great surprises when I see features we've just decided to develop (after months of discussion) suddenly start being discussed on these boards.

Paul do you have a dog? When I read that above I couldn't help but think about those Bush's baked beans commercials where the dog is always trying to give away the secret recipe. lol

Viper43

Highpockets said:
My guess, just a vacation, after what he puts up with here on a day to day basis, he most likely needs one every 3 months. :)

He'll need a three month vacation when he gets home after all the travel,meetings, update release and following headaches, lack of sleep dealing with those who can't, won't, don't read directions etc.......

Get some rest Upman! :)

800crazy1

well ....if they couldnt descramble your eggs , i think you should just hold off till they come out with there new model !!

mancow

Database Admin
I couldn't find Uniden in the list of vendors for the exhibition. Maybe they are there to source items for new products.

Status
Not open for further replies.