A Letter to all Pan Am Employees 30 Years Ago Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
WOW!!! In all my years of flying, only once did I fly PAN AM...JFK to Moscow! Upstairs in the 747...it was a fantastic trip. Somewhere around here I have the same message to Braniff employees when it too got its wings clipped.

Chris0516

When I was living in London(UK) with my mother younger brother, in the late 1970's. I flew on Pan Am(I think) from Heathrow to Dulles. My has lived in the DC region since 1976. So, I would fly over there every summer.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Many airlines had a hard time in 1991. The Gulf War happening had serious effects on international travel. Was worse after 9-11-2001. I watched as a Vegas based airline National Airlines shut down. They had a fleet of 757's. At the end of the day they lacked the capital to survive that stress. As a 25 year veteran of Southwest Airlines in their 50th year of service I hope I never see a letter like that.

Tim-B

Does that mean that some of those employees suddenly found themselves stranded very far from home like some of them on another continent?

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Does that mean that some of those employees suddenly found themselves stranded very far from home like some of them on another continent?
I would assume they would have gotten their employees back to where they were from and not leave them stranded.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Many airlines had a hard time in 1991. The Gulf War happening had serious effects on international travel. Was worse after 9-11-2001.

Pan Am would not have survived 2001 either if it had somehow managed to survive 1991. Quite sad regardless as it was a neat airline.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Once upon a time I traveled constantly for my work. When I had a choice, I'd fly Pan Am. Everything about the experience seemed a little bit 'better'.

As far as an employer leaving personnel stranded, well, in the same job that had me traveling all the time, the employer went into a death spiral and laid off its entire field force, wherever they were at the moment. Stranded in Cleveland, OH, with a ticket to Denver but I lived in Tucson. Sometimes getting the people back home doesn't matter much, I guess.

SacScanner

Premium Subscriber
I have fond memories of Pan Am. My uncle was hired by Pan Am the day he turned 20 in San Francisco. He flew the flying boats, Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio to Honolulu on their honeymoon, and retired flying the 707‘s. As a college student I was lucky enough to be in the cockpit jumpseat of a 707 from Honolulu to San Francisco including the landing, while the rest of the family was in coach. A great airline!

DREEDVALVE

First post here....My father worked for Pan Am for 30 years, right up till the end. We used to show up at the airport with blank tickets and if first class was available, it was free. Best flight was Paris -> NY. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.