A little confused..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc402002

Hi group, I live in Dyer Co. TN. I am trying to monitor the new trunked system in the next county. I have been using an all band antenna with fair results. I thought I would try a dedicated 800mhz antenna to receive this system better. The antenna I chose is rated at 5 db gain. I was not pleased with the results. When using the all band ant. the signal strength was showing 2 to 3 bars on the meter with 92 to 99 percent decode and good audio. When I tried the gain ant. I had full signal strength and 70 to 85 percent decode with poor audio. Can someone explain this???
Am I doing something wrong???

Thank................

jim202

With you not telling us much for details, my first guess is that the trunking system your trying to listen to
might just be a simulcast system. You could be hearing more than one site and getting multi path
from a number of sites. This in turn screws up the receiver from decoding the trunking system
correctly. If this is not a simulcast system, then there has to be another reason.

Given the lack of facts provided by you, don't have any other guesses.

Jim

Hi group, I live in Dyer Co. TN. I am trying to monitor the new trunked system in the next county. I have been using an all band antenna with fair results. I thought I would try a dedicated 800mhz antenna to receive this system better. The antenna I chose is rated at 5 db gain. I was not pleased with the results. When using the all band ant. the signal strength was showing 2 to 3 bars on the meter with 92 to 99 percent decode and good audio. When I tried the gain ant. I had full signal strength and 70 to 85 percent decode with poor audio. Can someone explain this???
Am I doing something wrong???

Thank................

kc402002

OK, I'm using a PSR-500 with all band omni outside at about 20 ft. I tried a dedicated 800 mhz omni with poor results. The 800 meg ant. is rated at 5 db gain and thought I would get better results. I am monitoring the new public safety system in Obion County. If you need anymore info., just let me know.

Thanks...........

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
OK, I'm using a PSR-500 with all band omni outside at about 20 ft. I tried a dedicated 800 mhz omni with poor results. The 800 meg ant. is rated at 5 db gain and thought I would get better results. I am monitoring the new public safety system in Obion County. If you need anymore info., just let me know.

Thanks...........
One possibility. If you are near one or more cell towers, and/or other 800mhz transmitters (whether public safety or perhaps an SMR site, where a local company provides service to customers), the scanner may be overloading from a strong signal & desensing, causing worse reception rather than better. That's the reason that, in town, and especially at home, I don't use a gain antenna on my PSR500. I'm surrounded by a forest of cell towers along several nearby freeways (about 8 within less than a half mile). I get worse reception of the more distant 800mhz systems using the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna, than I do using the stock antenna. (I do use a gain antenna out away from the rf clutter of the city.)

You might try using the attenuator, either on that specific system, or globally (all channels/systems), and see if that improves things. Otherwise, your option, if overload is really the problem, might be to try either a lesser gain, or perhaps a directional antenna, pointed directly at the site for the system in the next county (hopefully, without a cell site or other transmit tower, directly along the same path).

If this is the system you are aiming for, it is "tagged" as having simulcast sites in the database description, so Jim's possibility could also come into play. I'd suggest trying to rule out overload first. Also, you might check in the Tennessee forum, and see if anyone else is having difficulties getting this particular system to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.