A little Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilberto814

Premium Subscriber
I live in Walworth county and travel from there to near O'Hare everyday. I am looking into buying a scanner for my car and I was looking at a handheld with a mobile antenna. I just would like some options and insight on what I should look at buying.

1) What radio?
I was looking at the Uniden Bearcat BC346XT Scanner from what I have read a looked into a good scanner for a mid-range price. Should I maybe start off lower or higher?
2) Which antenna will pair up with a radio and get the best performace for the price?
I was looking at the Comtelco All-Band Low-Profile Mobile Antenna.
3) I was thinking when I do buy to mount the antenna on the back part of my SUV. Does the antenna need a ground plain like a CB antenna? If it does can I mount it near my CB antenna which is mounted in the center of my SUV Roof?

Thank you in advance for advice and insight. I

captclint

Mentor
I live in Walworth county and travel from there to near O'Hare everyday.
I was looking at the Uniden Bearcat BC346XT Scanner
WElcome to RR. The 346XT IS an excellent scanner, but there is a new system for your area that is digital. Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM) and Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM)
You would need the 396XT for that. Likewise, there are a lot of digital systems in the Chicago Cook County area.
3) I was thinking when I do buy to mount the antenna on the back part of my SUV. Does the antenna need a ground plain like a CB antenna? If it does can I mount it near my CB antenna which is mounted in the center of my SUV Roof?
Yes, it needs a ground plane. Ideally, they should be separated by a few feet, but you won't notice any difference if they are 1-2' apart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.