• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

A Little Install Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Ok, Here's what I have...I have an extra slot below the radio that's not being used for anything, I would like to install my radio in this slot, However, Upon removing the slot from the dash I find a block behind it.. Here are some photos to better explain..

Here's the order:

1) Current Install Now
2) A view of the extra pouch
3) A View of the extra empty slot with the block..
4) A full dash view, There's really no where else to place it, Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas on how to put this in this pouch or anywhere else..

Attachments

• Current Install.JPG
    Current Install.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 822
  • Extra pounch.JPG
    Extra pounch.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 670
  • Empty Slot.JPG
    Empty Slot.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 756
  • Full Dash.JPG
    Full Dash.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 712

KC0QNB

One idea is get a remote head for the radio mount it in the "slot", failing that, try to find a seat bolt mount for your vehicle.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Upon removing the slot from the dash I find a block behind it.

I can't say that I would recommend removing that as I have no idea if just how important it is. Car makers are not going to add things for no reason.

No, there is no remote option for your scanner.

ve1sef

How deep is this opening with that block left in place? What is the distance from the bracket holes on scanner to rear of scanner? Also, how deep is the existing opening in that shelf?
It is possible that your scanner might just fit that hole, if you modified the "shelf". To do that first I'd go
to a salvage yard and see if you can pickup a second assembly to customize. That way should decide down the road to replace the vehicle, you pop in the orginal with no holes.
That's what I did to take advantage of a simliar type opening in dash of my vehicle.

Attachments

• 2008-01-31 01.jpg
    2008-01-31 01.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 562
  • 2008-01-31 02.jpg
    2008-01-31 02.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 554

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
Try a Ram Mount. This is my '07 F-150 install in progress. It will be lower than you see it here when done because I need to put my RH-96 connected to a 996 on there as well as my remote head for a Kenwood TM-G707 once those are wired and installed.

I picked up this particular one at a Cabelas store in the Marine section. I found no way to use the dash other than what you have done or install and aftermarket head unit and place it in the DIN slot below or above it.

Attachments

• ram_mount.jpg
    ram_mount.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 598

btritch

I'm not sure how big it is, I know it's not big enough for the radio to fit in, The plate is about I'd say 2 or 3 inches behind and that's it...It's not deep enough, It is wide enough and tall enough, Just not deep enough, I may look into getting another one in a junkyard and doing that, The ram mount sounded good too. I'll look into both options, Thanks Guys!

ve1sef

following up

Sorry for not getting back sooner What I was thinking is, if that existing opening is wide enough and high enough, just maybe you can slide the scanner into that shelf enough that the hole for the side thumbscrews of would be inside the shelf. If your that lucky, drill hole into sides of the shelf and
use it for the bracket. Likewise, you may have just enough room to make holes to line up with the ports on the back of the scanner. It looks tight from the photos, but, radio shack may have "L" shaped BNC adapters
and power adapters.

Viper43

You could remove the bracket and make another to replace it and allow the install. It appears the bracket is used to hold some items in place above the blank spot. Make a new one that will go around the scanner and be able to hold the scanner as well as whatever it's holding prior to removing the original. A little inginuity and you should be OK.

V

astrodanco

If I were you, I'd forget about that oh so tantalizing space behind the little cubby.

I'd remove the factory double-din radio and replace it with a single-din radio (from Crutchfield or wherever) and my scanner, one on top of the other. In fact, that's what I did. I replaced my factory double-din radio with a Radio Shack PRO-2096 on top of a Kenwood KVT-512.

Despite representations to the contrary, the PRO-2096 does NOT have a proper (180mm wide X 25mm high front bezel) DIN form factor, but it can often be shoe horned in anyway. I had to do a little bit of custom work with some extra wide double-din plastic trim (Metra 99-9999) to make it look good. You may be able to do the same sort of fit with your scanner.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I would go to the junk yard and find a similar car and do some "exploring" to see what can be done.

I've done some creative work with overhead spaces and dashboards. Best to not bugger up your ride if you have a junker to mess with.

ve1sef

I agree with Kenisned. As you see in the photos I sent early, I mount the 996 in the exsisting hole. But first, I went to a salvage yard and bought a second hand brizle for the dash. I customized it and put it in my car. The orginal brizle away for safe keep. Plan being if I want to sell the car, just put the orginal brizle back in no one the wiser. Other than you folks

zuzu

I would go to the junk yard and find a similar car and do some "exploring" to see what can be done.

I've done some creative work with overhead spaces and dashboards. Best to not bugger up your ride if you have a junker to mess with.

Or try to find the a PDF of the Factory Service Manual for your vehicle and see if it explains why that's there or if you can remove it.

bartimus09

Heres an install

If you haven't already solved your problem, here is a link to my install. I had a 2-DIN opening with my Ford Ranger, bought a new single DIN Sony radio, and an old Radio Shack scanner. If you checked for an aftermarket dash install kit for your car, bought a single DIN stereo and scanner, you could do something like this:

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216385

I now have an 09 Tacoma I am trying to figure out how to equip.....

Status
Not open for further replies.