a little late~ i hope this is not a trend at all air shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

duchee

I know I get looked at very wierd when I'm at KATL with my tansciver. Heck, I'm only 13, but I do have over 30 hours, and relize how much trouble you could get into if you did transmit on a ATC frequency.

But, the first thing I did when a chopper ventured into the showbox last year @ NAS Pensacola was bust out the scanner. I was the 2nd one (next to the AB) to know when it came in and out of the CHARLIE and TFR.

I would never transmit, ever! Anyway, the guys around my area would probably figure out it was me haha, I know alot of controllers at KFMY and KRSW, and fly at KPGD and KFMY.

Respectfully,
Caleb
thats awsome caleb to share your story. :) what do you use your transceiver for ? ham? or for you class purposes?

CalebATC

If you didn't know, I'm a student pilot, I have about 32 hours in 5 or so aircraft. I let my Mom use the scanner while I fly, so she can hear (and cry haha) when she hears me talking on unicom or tower. Also, I use it alot when spotting, flying in airliners, and sitting inside a terminal.

I use the Vertex VXA-220 transciver. It is a very durable, rugged, and submersable machine. It has a 10 watt output, and really does a great job. It only does the aviation band, and the 108-118 is monitorable, although the only thing you will hear is HIWAS (if avalible) and some morse code. The bad thing is that the rubber ducky it comes with is a little funky, WIFI really messes it up, so I put my RS PRO-89 (brick!) antenna on when at an airport. I slap on the BNC adapter, and put it onto my ST-2 at home. It has way better quality than the PRO-164, and recives alot clearer, with the same antenna. It's truly, in my opinion, the best scanner out there for aviation. Even with the stock rubber ducky.

Vertex Standard VXA-220 Pro VI Transceiver - Sporty's Pilot Shop

Caleb

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
the airshow i havve i will hook up to my computer and stream it to my phone with my headset. good luck them taking my scanner away :D cant take phone away either. its part of my job lol

They can just refuse to let you on the property. :wink:

duchee

If you didn't know, I'm a student pilot, I have about 32 hours in 5 or so aircraft. I let my Mom use the scanner while I fly, so she can hear (and cry haha) when she hears me talking on unicom or tower. Also, I use it alot when spotting, flying in airliners, and sitting inside a terminal.

I use the Vertex VXA-220 transciver. It is a very durable, rugged, and submersable machine. It has a 10 watt output, and really does a great job. It only does the aviation band, and the 108-118 is monitorable, although the only thing you will hear is HIWAS (if avalible) and some morse code. The bad thing is that the rubber ducky it comes with is a little funky, WIFI really messes it up, so I put my RS PRO-89 (brick!) antenna on when at an airport. I slap on the BNC adapter, and put it onto my ST-2 at home. It has way better quality than the PRO-164, and recives alot clearer, with the same antenna. It's truly, in my opinion, the best scanner out there for aviation. Even with the stock rubber ducky.

Vertex Standard VXA-220 Pro VI Transceiver - Sporty's Pilot Shop

Caleb
thats awesome caleb nice radio. i didn't know the air frequencys were so different then UHF/VHF and the rest. explains why i don't hear much on air bands on my conventional scanner lol

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
that would deffiently suck lol

Military bases are unpredictable. A few years ago I sent an email inquiry to Selfridge Air Base in Michigan, inquiring about an upcoming air show, and what frequencies would be in use, so I could monitor them on my scanner. They told me that information was classified, and if I tried to enter the base with a scanner, or was caught monitoring them, I would be taken into custody and questioned by Homeland Security. What a joke! When the air show took place, there were numerous people on the base with their scanners, no problem.

Sometime after that, I sent a similar inquiry to an military air museum near the same airbase. I asked if it would be ok for me to set in their parking lot and monitor the aircraft in and around the base. I did not receive a response, so I called them. They started asking me all kinds of questions as to who I was, why did I want to monitor them, etc. I just laughed and hung up. So far, no black helicopters! :D

CalebATC

They just don't like us being nosy!! After a few years of monitoring, I have figured out that most of the time at an air base, they use VHF tower. I rarely hear thing on the Macdill (KMCF) UHF tower frequency, but the VHF is packed.

And duchee, thanks! It's a very nice scanner and it definitely does the job! And Vertex Standard is under the same company that makes Yaesu... it's kinda like the Cadillac of the scanners lol!

Caleb

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I agree that the airshows at Naval Air Stations seem to be a little more scanner friendly. Matter of fact Oceana NAS lists scanners under the allowed list. I've had no problem at NAS Pensacola either. Tyndall AFB and Eglin allowed mine as well. Columbus AFB allowed it too but when some high horse (Federal Police i guess not even Security Forces) guys stopped me and asked what i was listening too. I try to conceal my BCD-396T on base but they noticed my curly Q earpiece, much like theirs and got intimidated i guess and asked what i was listening to. I told them and after some banter was able to go about my way. Nellis was the only base that scanner blocked me but because they are Nellis AFB they think their s@#t don't stink so they have had the most draconian rules so far. So whatever. But for the most part i haven't had any issues.

And for those that states it's their base well it should be mine too. They don't pay taxes, i do and it's my tax dollars that keep these bases running. It's sad we're considered second class citizens by the military on post. I am one of the militarys biggest fans but oh well. I try to limit my airshows to podunk civil shows and only military shows that supports and trusts those that support them. I will never go back to Air Farce Base Nellis.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Scanners at Air Shows (Military Bases)

Howdy

I would recommend you call the local base operator and have them put you in touch with the Base Public Affairs Officer (PAO), well in advance, to explain why you want to use a scanner / ham radio on base during the events....

Then ask very politely if you may send them an e-mail to 'confirm' / reply (if a yes answer) to you that it is OK....get the name and rank / telephone number(s) of the person as well (keep copy with you at the show) and print the e-mail to take along too...ask what you should do if stopped at the gate/entry too.

Most times the Public Affairs Officer is present during these shows and also some have a "media kit' as well for local TV/Radio/Newspapers to drop by the PAO as well....not all bases have these, and they might be named different by each branch of service...

This gives you a better chance at getting through security, but as prior post notes the Base Commander (or his delegates) have 'final authority' and things do often change...

Best of Luck.

Thx

Bill

CalebATC

I agree that the airshows at Naval Air Stations seem to be a little more scanner friendly. Matter of fact Oceana NAS lists scanners under the allowed list. I've had no problem at NAS Pensacola either. Tyndall AFB and Eglin allowed mine as well. Columbus AFB allowed it too but when some high horse (Federal Police i guess not even Security Forces) guys stopped me and asked what i was listening too. I try to conceal my BCD-396T on base but they noticed my curly Q earpiece, much like theirs and got intimidated i guess and asked what i was listening to. I told them and after some banter was able to go about my way. Nellis was the only base that scanner blocked me but because they are Nellis AFB they think their s@#t don't stink so they have had the most draconian rules so far. So whatever. But for the most part i haven't had any issues.

And for those that states it's their base well it should be mine too. They don't pay taxes, i do and it's my tax dollars that keep these bases running. It's sad we're considered second class citizens by the military on post. I am one of the militarys biggest fans but oh well. I try to limit my airshows to podunk civil shows and only military shows that supports and trusts those that support them. I will never go back to Air Farce Base Nellis.

Exactly! I pay taxes (well, my parents do). And I can't have my scanner on my own property? Bullcrap! Without people like us, their would be no AFB's around. The AF is nothing but full of a bunch of hot-headed, ignorant pilots that think they can fly, and rule the world!

I personally can't stand the USAF. I'm a Navy boy. We get out and do the work! And don't stand behind the lines like the USAF! Go Navy! The Navy is alot more laid back, and for the fact, the pilots are alot better than any USAF pilot. Guarantee it. If you can land your plane on a boat, you can fly. Like the commercial says "A global force for good" "The worlds most powerful force"

I have yet to be told I can't have my scanner at an AFB, but when the day someone tells me to put it away, some h&*l is gonna break loose! I'll tell them what I think!

73s

skip39

i could not bring my scanner to Andrews AFB jsoh. i was blocked by the army military police soldiers. i was not happy that they did not allow my scanner. i was not going to any police activity just the ground and air chatter.. well i will be attending the westfield/barnes international airshow up in massachusetts in august. i hope they allow my scanner onto the base

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been knocked back taking a scanner into any airshow yet.

If I did, I'd just find a nice grassy spot outside the airfield, set up my camp chair, & picnic table next to my car and probably enjoy it even more without the crowds. A few sandwiches, some beers and away you go! Save $$$ on the entry ticket too!

Viper43

Never had a problem anywhere with my scanners. If anyone questions it they get the amature radio license and/or media credentials and that shuts them up pretty quick. They get more nervous about the camera than the scanners :)

V

al95

I haven't been knocked back taking a scanner into any airshow yet.

If I did, I'd just find a nice grassy spot outside the airfield, set up my camp chair, & picnic table next to my car and probably enjoy it even more without the crowds. A few sandwiches, some beers and away you go! Save $$$ on the entry ticket too!

I save my $$$ on the entry ticket every year the airshow is held here in Brownsville, Texas. It is not as fancy as the other airshows but we enjoy what we have. I don't need to buy my ticket pay for a parking space nor food, or drinks that the airshow might be selling. I take my chips, cokes, and sandwitches and enjoy the show park across the airport looking towards the landing and departing lanes. Take my radios along with me and when the airshow is about to finish I leave to avoid the traffic jams.

duchee

Never had a problem anywhere with my scanners. If anyone questions it they get the amature radio license and/or media credentials and that shuts them up pretty quick. They get more nervous about the camera than the scanners :)

V
nice list of equipment :D

Viper43

nice list of equipment :D

Thank you, been collecting a while now :) the list of camera and len's are impressive too BTW, how's Duluth? I lived there from 68 to 73 :) Went to Grant Elem there, my sister went to Duluth Central. It was Duluth I first got interested in radio. And I always had fun going up to the airbase too.

V

Viper43

This year I skipped the Indy airshow, the weather wasn't the best, parking was a disaster so I stayed home and listened to it all on the scanners and watched from the roof of my shop.... I live very close to the airport so it's kinda nice if I don't feel like going there. Saves alot of $$ too!

V

Status
Not open for further replies.