• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

A Little Story, CH 6, and "Keydowns".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang131

Rare if ever I get on 2m. But more then a few channel 6 guys can be found on 80. Sidebands for sissy's.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Rare if ever I get on 2m. But more then a few channel 6 guys can be found on 80. Sidebands for sissy's.
. So what do you base that comment on? Maybe because you don't know enough about it?? Single side band is a very reliable mode. :roll: 73, n9zas

JayMojave

Hello All: I am sure M131's comment was Tung in Check humor. I have heard the 80 meter crowd talk about the "Bowl" (CH 6) on the Lower Ham Band AM frequencies.

Seems there is quit a AM Mode following of Hams on the lower bands and such. Two older gentlemen ( I mean white hair, walking canes, and WWII Veteran ball Caps) get into a skirmish over whos gonna buy a 250 watt Modulation transformer at the TRW Swap Meet near the Los Angles Airport. They couldn't lift the transformer let along carry it back to the parking lot, Bravo for them.

Got chewed out at the Las Vegas AES store over some innocent comment I made to the SSB Mode. WOW! what great AM Mode guys there were. I didn't take the snotty comment as derogatory but got a kick out of such brashness from this old and I do mean from a old guy (farther time) type of Ham Radio Operator.

In the late 1960's during a CB Break at the Southern Ca, above the San Fernando valley Sunland / Tujunga VFW Hall, a older gentleman said I looked like a guy who was the best Torpedo shooter on a PT Boat in the Pacific war during WWII. I took it as a complement and got a big kick out of it.

I would think the AM Mode crowd hangs out on the lower bands, and talk about audio quality, Modulation Transformers and such. Perfect for a plug for SSB.

See:
The AM Forum - Index

Lots of great AM stuff there. I get a kick out of them constantly adjusting, tuning, and carrying on, now that's Ham radio..... From small Heathkit DX20 to Commercial AM Transmitters its all there on the lower AM Ham Bands. And there's a bunch of same type guys on the Bowl. Great listening.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Mustang131

You nailed it. Ain't it funny that people that at best don't use 11m, love to comment on it. I figured I had something to add the Thread: A Little Story, CH 6, and "Keydowns". It's the only book I've seen that try's to explain the channel 6 thing. It hard for people who like to read owner manuals to understand.
Most of the VE's have handles.

KD0PEZ

I found the channel 6 discussion history quite interesting. Those who read the entire article, it talks of how some racist groups used CB to scope out cops and those they hated, and how those who were hated began using CB as a weapon against the hate groups.

It's sad though to think of the hate and discontent back then.

As for snobbish hams.....yes some of them are. But some of them do have a point. CB tends to have a lot of myths in it. Some CBers "think" you "need" power to be heard. And this is simply not true. Yes power is nice, but it's like a Corvette with a nitrous bottle. The Corvette is already fast, but the nitrous gives you that extra kick.

Same is true with an amp vs. the antenna. I used to talk to a guy every morning on channel 35 AM. The guy lived 20 miles away. My radio was a stock 4 watt Cobra and I had a Wilson 1000, all installed in my S-10. Yes I talked 20 miles on 4 watts. Impossible you say? Read on...

So how did I talk 20 miles? Simple. The guy I talked to was on a base, and used a BEAM antenna. Yes a beam. Was he running power? Maybe. But the fact he was booming in was due to a beam antenna.

Another time I talked 16 miles local on a 4 watt Uniden with a Wilson Lil Wil in my Buick T type. Now we all know the Lil Wil is "ok" but not a barn burner. Wanna know how I did this? The guy was on a base, antenna was up probably a good 70 feet.

Now.....I know in both cases the other guy was on a base. But it's the fact the antenna itself was up and could "see" that allowed for long talks. Otherwise there's not much of a change we could have talked.

So yes when you run 50 kW from your suburban, it can be seen as a waste of power....but do I care? Nope. As long as you don't key up near me and as long as you don't keep me from talking, I don't care what you do. No I don't run on the bowl, but I do run some of the other channels. Some of those guys bleed 6 channels either direction, which is sad. If you want to nuke your internal organs with RF that's your choice, just don't do it around those who wish to not be cooked from the inside out.

Status
Not open for further replies.