HP-1: A "mobile scanning with GPS" question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
A statement was made in another thread, and I didn't want to hijack it with my question, so I'll ask here.

Mobile is a whole different ball game. GPS and a statewide favorite or the entire database.

So if I put the entire Hoosier Safe-T system into one favorites list, and have only that FL and GPS active, it will "turn on/off" the sites as I drive south thru Indiana?

If so, this is certainly a case of "you learn something new everyday." I thought the GPS just did its thing from the full database.

:)

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yes it will - location must be ON in Profiles for the Fav.

Can also load multiple location enabled favorites and even add in a fav. with no location in case ou want it to scan that one no matter where you are.

I edit some sites/and systems in Ohio and reduce the range. I want to reduce staic, noise, etc. when mobile. I have several for various parts of the state - sometimes I load all of them depending on where I'm going.

I mainly use the full db when out of state, or lazy.

A statement was made in another thread, and I didn't want to hijack it with my question, so I'll ask here.

So if I put the entire Hoosier Safe-T system into one favorites list, and have only that FL and GPS active, it will "turn on/off" the sites as I drive south thru Indiana?

If so, this is certainly a case of "you learn something new everyday." I thought the GPS just did its thing from the full database.

rwier

.........................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if I put the entire Hoosier Safe-T system into one favorites list, and have only that FL and GPS active, it will "turn on/off" the sites as I drive south thru Indiana? .......................

I'm not sure if the following answers your question but, I have made FLs for travelling between: Phx and LA, Phx and SD, Phx and LV, SD and LA, LA and LV. My proficiency in each endeavor increased rapidly. The 1st took me about 45 minutes, with the last taking less than 15 minutes.

These FL's contain exactly what I would be listening to if I lived at any given location along these routes (and nothing else). With the GPS in operation, the desired frequencies/channels/groups appear, and disappear, from the screen (like magic). As I travel, I hear ALL/ONLY the exact radio entities that I would select if I lived at the current location on the trip.

For those that believe making FLs is too cumbersome, too difficult, and too time consuming, I state the following: I made the above FLs, ALONG WITH my local main FL (Phoenix and vicinity) while I was waiting ~three days for my ordered HP-1 to arrive.

I have, early in my HP-1 ownership era, messed with the full database, but for experimental (curiosity) reasons ONLY. I have NEVER considered using the full database for actual monitoring pleasure.

I have posted similar to the above several times over the last few years. In general, this was not well received by the RR community. That's OK, for if this helps ONE reader/listener, I believe it was worth it.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the info.

It certainly gives me a better understanding of things now.

Thanks again!!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I did something similar just this past Monday - traveled along I-74 to Indy, then south on I-65 down to Louisville. All sites came on when they should have and turned off as I left the area.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget, the systems in FL's don't update. You'll have to recreate the FL each time the system updates. I was going to create an Indiana only FL, but don't see an easy way to do it in Sentinel. Maybe I'll try it in my Arc software.

Jeff.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You probably won't find creating a statewide Favorites List any easier with ARC than you would with Sentinel.

Bearing in mind that creating Favorites Lists is a very "customizable" thing - what works for one, may not another. If it was me, since we are talking about mobile scanning with a GPS, I'd just use the full database for a statewide system. I'd refine my listening preferences with Service Type selection. And as mentioned, there is that issue of updating Favorites Lists.

My thinking is that Favorites Lists are for "things" you might scan on a regular basis while at a "regular" place, such as at home.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if I'm out of line or off topic ...
However will the same system work with a BCD996xt?
2nd ... what type of a GPS would work with this unit?

Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Prior to getting my BCD 536 for my truck, I was using a BCD 996XT. It was connected to a Uniden BC-GPSK.

Prior to the BC-GPSK, I was using a Garmin E-trex Legend. I went to the Uniden device because I left the Garmin on the dashboard and thought it would be a theft risk. The Uniden is pretty discreet.

Any NEMA compliant GPS device will work as long as it has an output cable with the 9 Pin RS 232 end.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
GPS 18x OEM

I looked on the Uniden GPS listings and also on GPS Central and couldn't find the BC-GPSK.
However I did find the GPS 18x OEM ... is anyone familiar or using this device?

Yes. Prior to getting my BCD 536 for my truck, I was using a BCD 996XT. It was connected to a Uniden BC-GPSK.

Prior to the BC-GPSK, I was using a Garmin E-trex Legend. I went to the Uniden device because I left the Garmin on the dashboard and thought it would be a theft risk. The Uniden is pretty discreet.

Any NEMA compliant GPS device will work as long as it has an output cable with the 9 Pin RS 232 end.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
WTF are you smoking? $69.24 with free shipping if you have Prime. Most expensive seller listed currently is $77.77 with free shipping.

JamesO

Not smoking anything, the Amazon link you provide goes directly to the seller Shoplet with the GPSK price as $68.56 with shipping of $45.72.

I know how may people are, the will click on an link only look at the item price and order something, so I wanted to point out the specific link you provided is no deal.

There may be other better priced units on Amazon, but the link you provided does not show these items directly. I almost always note the specific Amazon pricing info on anything I link as well because Amazon pricing changes ALL the time and sometimes by a great amount.

You may want to consider linking the specific page with the better pricing so people do not fall in the trap of ordering the first item your link takes them to.

Here is the link you provided below:

Attachments

• Amazon BC-GPSK 1.jpg
    Amazon BC-GPSK 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 297

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Probably would be good to calculate the total cost. If one had to pay the $45.72 shipping from Amazon, the bottom line is $114.28. With Scannermaster, the shipping cost for their $89.95 unit cost $14.85 to ship for a bottom line of $104.80.

So Amazon may not be the less costly option.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I posted the link, the Amazon Prime was the default, and the Shoplet seller wasn't even an option. Amazon Prime is still $69.24 with free shipping. Which is the option I selected when I purchased it. And it even came with the adapter cable for the 436HP.

JamesO

When I posted the link, the Amazon Prime was the default, and the Shoplet seller wasn't even an option. Amazon Prime is still $69.24 with free shipping. Which is the option I selected when I purchased it. And it even came with the adapter cable for the 436HP.

Part of the reason I replied was due to the link that showed up and as I mentioned, I quite often state what the price is when posting the link. I have learned over the years that Amazon pricing changes rapidly and often, not sure why, but it does.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Price changes when a 3rd party reseller "buys the button" by offering a lower price and can also change based on prices shown on other sites.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Price changes when a 3rd party reseller "buys the button" by offering a lower price and can also change based on prices shown on other sites.

And various other proprietary reasons. I've had 2 PC's side by side display prices different by several percentage points.

Seen differences based on location, whether user is logged in, user is a Prime member, etc. Usually on an Amazon supplied item and not 3rd party.

I've had items change several times over a 3 day period while sitting in the checkout cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.