A nanoVNA-H4 Question: How to find what I am looking for?

Facsimile

Premium Subscriber
I'll be the first to admit that antenna theory is scary to me. I was going to attempt some soon so I thought I'd ask for advice. I have a handful of receive-only antennas that I would like to test to rank them based on gain and appropriate listening frequency range. I have a nanoVNA-H4 and have been looking for tutorials on YouTube and elsewhere to find my answers but I don't think I am searching using the correct terms. I'll bullet point the questions to try to make it as understandable as possible. If you have any guides you could recommend, I'd appreciate it!

• When selecting a receive-only antenna, what parameter is used to measure if an antenna should be used at the particular tuned frequency? Is this measurable on a nanoVNA-H4?
    • Does SWR relate in any way or does SWR have more impact on transmit as well as receive?
  • When selecting a receive-only antenna, is it possible to measure antenna gain at a tuned frequency? Is this measurable on a nanoVNA-H4?

Thank you

krokus

Premium Subscriber
SWR is a good indicator, and crucial for transmitter antennas.

As for gain, that is beyond using a NanoVNA. It requires calibrated equipment & cables, to feed a known signal to the antenna, and receive field strength of radiated signal. (Or the inverse of that arrangement.)

nd5y

There is no test equipment that you can connect to an antenna to measure gain.
The only way you can actually measure antenna gain and radiation pattern is on a test range by comparing with a (usually expensive) reference antenna of known gain.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a handful of receive-only antennas that I would like to test to rank them based on gain and appropriate listening frequency range. I have a nanoVNA-H4 and have been looking for tutorials on YouTube and elsewhere to find my answers but I don't think I am searching using the correct terms.

Not sure about the gain but for freq, but I believe resonate is the term you're looking for. I swept a radio shack sputnic to see where it would perform good.

1709827338183-png.157906

Here are some videos