A new digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catwrench

I am in need of alittle help on choosing the right scanner for my needs. I haven’t used a scanner since they went to the new MARCS system in Ohio and my analog scanner wouldn’t receive pd/ems/fire anymore. About a two weeks ago I came across it and it’s been used everyday since, listening to neighboring wv county police, fire, ems, and also using it to scan all the different channels on my work radio. I live in Jefferson county Ohio, which is right across the river from the Wv panhandle. I would like to find a scanner that will hopefully be able to not only scan the MARCS in Ohio but also frequencies in wv panhandle and western pa. And to throw in a curve I’d like to also be able to tune Into marine, railroad, cb, frs, and business frequencies. Everything I’ve seen in the last couple days of research is the only handheld scanner on the market that comes close to everything I want it to do is the SDS100 and I’m still not too sure if it will do everything. I was wondering if there is another scanner that would suit me better or if the SDS100 is what I’m looking for before I spend the money on it and it’s not what I’m looking for. Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am in need of alittle help on choosing the right scanner for my needs. I haven’t used a scanner since they went to the new MARCS system in Ohio and my analog scanner wouldn’t receive pd/ems/fire anymore. About a two weeks ago I came across it and it’s been used everyday since, listening to neighboring wv county police, fire, ems, and also using it to scan all the different channels on my work radio. I live in Jefferson county Ohio, which is right across the river from the Wv panhandle. I would like to find a scanner that will hopefully be able to not only scan the MARCS in Ohio but also frequencies in wv panhandle and western pa. And to throw in a curve I’d like to also be able to tune Into marine, railroad, cb, frs, and business frequencies. Everything I’ve seen in the last couple days of research is the only handheld scanner on the market that comes close to everything I want it to do is the SDS100 and I’m still not too sure if it will do everything. I was wondering if there is another scanner that would suit me better or if the SDS100 is what I’m looking for before I spend the money on it and it’s not what I’m looking for. Thanks!
You have choices in addition to the SDS100.

All of the recent model digital scanners are capable of receiving the categories you list (CB, Rail, Marine, etc). The differences in the scanners would be defined more by your location. Without a more definite location than 'Ohio, near WV & PA, it's hard to make a specific recommendation. One key is whether or not the systems in your area are simulcast. Some simulcast systems are well known for being problematic. See this Wiki page for what the issues are: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion

You'll get a much better recommendation if you indicate whether you want a handheld/portable scanner, such as the SDS100, or a base/mobile version, such as the SDS200. Also, your location figures into the mix. City (or County) and State is specific enough.

If need be, you might be better served if you request that your thread be moved to the Ohio state forum. That way, members in your area can tell you what works best for them. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the Ohio state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.