• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

A new programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrPalm

Hi everyone. So here is where I stand. I am on the line (firefighter/EMT) for a fire department. About a year ago, our radio guy was 'let go' and I was asked to take over. I went through Motorola's CPS programming training then and just recently have now obtained the necessary system key to program radios for our department since we got new radios. We have a few (16 or so) older XTS1500 radios that we just got replacements (APX8000) for and need to be swapped out. Am I able to use the CPS software and clone the older XTS1500 codeplug and adjust it to the new 8000s? We do have a few 8000s as well that are already programmed for us that I thought I could clone and do the same since they are the same models instead of going from an older model to a newer model, if that makes any difference. Just looking for a bit of advice if anyone cares to offer any. Thanks in advance.
Cody

dgruver911

The short answer is no. First of all, they use 2 different CPS. You can't use one to copy over to the other. My suggestion is you use your existing 8000's to clone over to the new, and then dig in and learn the software before you try to make any changes. There is so much in there, and it is so very easy to make mistakes and screw the radio up. Find someone that is very experienced that you can call and talk to from time to time, because believe me, you're going to need it.

CrPalm

The short answer is no. First of all, they use 2 different CPS. You can't use one to copy over to the other. My suggestion is you use your existing 8000's to clone over to the new, and then dig in and learn the software before you try to make any changes. There is so much in there, and it is so very easy to make mistakes and screw the radio up. Find someone that is very experienced that you can call and talk to from time to time, because believe me, you're going to need it.
Thanks for the reply.
After writing this I started to wonder about the radios not using the same CPS version. Makes sense. I've browsed around the settings but really the only thing that will need to change is the radio alias of the radios since they will be different names. Otherwise I believe there is nothing else I need to do but write to the new radios from there.

CrPalm

Well, I may be at a different crossroad now as I cannot get CPS to see my system key. It shows under system key report but when I go to DEVICE, 'read FLASHkey Configuration' it doesn't find a valid FLASHkey. I thought they were the same thing. I am beginning to think I'm wrong.

K2NEC

Because they aren't the same thing. System keys are for trunking systems. Flash keys are for flashcode.

For System keys:
Tools>System Keys>Load

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Please don't take this the wrong way, but being that you are programming trunking radios on a public safety system used presumably by folks in an IDLH environment, this really should be done with proper guidance and training. The APX series are highly advanced subscriber radios, and APX CPS is very powerful but also very daunting. Many features like audio performance are GREATLY affected by settings. Motorola offers an "APX subscriber academy" and while costly, if you're going to be managing your agencies assets, it would tremendously benefit you. As I am sure you agree, like your BA, turnout gear, and other hardware you use, radios should not be treated any different in that one should get the right support to maintain and service the tools in question. Not saying you are not the guy, and I certainly comprehend the "ODAS" orders we often get, I'm just trying to be helpful and say you may be way over your head on this mission. Stay safe.

CrPalm

No. The only thing the flashcode is for is to update radio features. Sounds like maybe you are in over your head.
Oh I'm sure I'm in over my head. There are a few local guys that do the programming for the sheriff's office and I think I'll have to have them help me out

CrPalm

Please don't take this the wrong way, but being that you are programming trunking radios on a public safety system used presumably by folks in an IDLH environment, this really should be done with proper guidance and training. The APX series are highly advanced subscriber radios, and APX CPS is very powerful but also very daunting. Many features like audio performance are GREATLY affected by settings. Motorola offers an "APX subscriber academy" and while costly, if you're going to be managing your agencies assets, it would tremendously benefit you. As I am sure you agree, like your BA, turnout gear, and other hardware you use, radios should not be treated any different in that one should get the right support to maintain and service the tools in question. Not saying you are not the guy, and I certainly comprehend the "ODAS" orders we often get, I'm just trying to be helpful and say you may be way over your head on this mission. Stay safe.
I agree. My chief and I figured I could head this up since it didn't seem that hard to do but the more I dig, the more complicated it gets. I don't need to mess with anything in the codeplug except the alias for the different radios so I can get our guys off the old xts 1500s and into the 8000s. Gonna need to check out that subscriber academy though and thanks for the info!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
XTS to APX codeplug. Wasnt there some sort of software tool aiding in this endeavor?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
There was/is, but I never had much success. Too many invalid fields.
That tool is worthless and you wind up with personalities with utterly useless names that eventually leads to a garbage codeplug that is a nightmare to decipher.

Ditto, the conversion software never worked for me. I always ended up with hundreds of errors showing in the resulting APX codeplug, and it took more time to clear those up than to write a new APX codeplug; since you can use copy/paste from an Excel spreadsheet into APX software for stuff like control channel and talkgroup lists it made building a new codeplug considerably easier. Once I had a good, clean APX codeplug it's relatively easy to copy it from one APX model to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.