• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

A New XTL5000: can it be hooked up to a lighter socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I just received my new XTL5000 and already have it all programmed up. It is a 110w VHF unit with a remote O5 head. Previously I have used a Motorola CDM1250 that I have used a DC power supply for inside of the house, and a lighter socket cable (image attached) inside of the car for easy switching back and fourth. I have 3 questions:

1. Strictly speaking current draw wise, would it be a problem if I hooked up the XTL to this lighter socket cable. It is a 12v DC?

2. Additionally as this is a remote mount, there’s is more than one power cable (second coming from the O5). That being said, would it be risky to try to splice the O5 cable to the lighter socket cable, or is there any way to attach the control head cable to the radio so there is only need for one cable to be attached to the power source.

3. If I were to want to convert this unit to a dash mount, how exactly do I remove the flex boards from the remote interface and connect them to a dash form. I opened it up to look inside and could exactly figure out how to do it with absolute certainty (I didn’t want to break anything). Thank you all so much, I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.A92DC7F6-F3BB-4D33-B73D-1280F30838FE.png

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Powering a 110w radio from a lighter plug is just asking for trouble. According to the specs, the radio draws 20A on transmit.

110w XTL's cannot be dash mounted.

The O5 head could be connected to the lighter plug I suppose but it's not a very neat way of doing things.

N9JOD

Premium Subscriber
I know it's a pain to run power cables. But I totally agree with mikewazowski. It will not be an enjoyable experience if you don't take the time
to install any equipment the proper way. I once overheated a lighter socket and almost burned my car up. I was young and dumb. After that day, I made it a practice to do all my install to spec. Congrats on the XTL5000, those are awesome radios.

ME801

All the above and the potential that the RF deck will not get the correct voltage on TX leading to a cool paperweight.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1. Strictly speaking current draw wise, would it be a problem if I hooked up the XTL to this lighter socket cable. It is a 12v DC?

Yes. As mentioned above, even -if- the lighter socket in your car is capable of providing 20 amps, the sockets usually don't do to well at that level. The cheap contacts, spring pressure, vibration, etc. IS going to lead to issues.
In addition, the feeds for those lighter sockets are bundled up with other vehicle wiring, so it's often a great way to introduce all kinds of fun and interesting interference into the radio. You may not hear it through the speaker, but it may impact performance.

2. Additionally as this is a remote mount, there’s is more than one power cable (second coming from the O5). That being said, would it be risky to try to splice the O5 cable to the lighter socket cable, or is there any way to attach the control head cable to the radio so there is only need for one cable to be attached to the power source.

Yes, the head draws very little current. But see answer to #1 above. It's not a good solution.

3. If I were to want to convert this unit to a dash mount, how exactly do I remove the flex boards from the remote interface and connect them to a dash form. I opened it up to look inside and could exactly figure out how to do it with absolute certainty (I didn’t want to break anything). Thank you all so much, I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

Not going to happen.

Those cigarette lighter power cords were designed for putting radios temporarily in vehicles for guys who deliver pizzas, not for any real world/critical use. I'd not run anything more than a low power CDM off one of those and not for any permanent use. In fact, I'd safely say I'd never use one of those in a mobile application.

If you are going to use this radio in a mobile environment, put the effort into doing it right. That's the way to get proper performance out of it. Power for the RF deck needs to be run directly to the vehicle battery with the red (+) wire connected to the battery terminal with a fuse, and the black (-) wire connected to the vehicle body. Motorola will tell you this, as will anyone who's installed this sort of gear.

And, I'm going to go out on a limb here….
Don't put a 110 watt radio like that on a mag mount antenna, that's just asking for additional issues. Proper grounding is key, and getting a properly installed antenna mounted with a ground plane becomes important if you want it to work well.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Friends don't let friends use mag mounts and cigarette lighters for mid power dash mount radios.
A 110 watt XTL plugged into a cigarette lighter? That's about as effective as trying to fight a house fire with a garden hose.

Do it right. Mount it properly, use proper gauge wire run directly to the battery with proper fuses, and drill a hole and use a proper antenna mount. Please.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Don't do it. If it's just receive maybe it'll be fine. But transmitting I've seen them blown endless fuses and then the radio fuse also.

Directly connect to the battery with proper Guage wiring and ground the brick in a good contact spot.

To add in seen myself a detective unit someone self install a brick with a lighter deal and it caught fire at the lighter point during a long transmit. While the fire was put out the entire socket, lighter plug was toast. It was pretty hot around that area. I wouldn't.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

To add to this...

Those are rated by Motorola to 25 watt or less radios. The wire gauge is too small for anything much bigger. If you compare the wire size on the RF deck to the cigarette light cord, you'll see a big difference.
It's also going to have (probably) a 10 amp fuse, which will pop if you try to transmit. Simply putting a larger fuse it in is how electrical fires get started...

So should I be weary about running the XTL off of my DC power supply also? Even though I hardly transmit and when I do it will be on low power. Hence why I’ve been using a magnet mount as well.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't. But it's s choice each has.

Separate from the mobiles I've seen the lighter plug clams burn up on people using handheld xts, ht1000s before.

Digging into it I noticed cheap Chinese electronics and or improper connections to loose wiring inside and wrong type of fuse in the plugs. While receiving seemed to suit the current xmit and it heats up as said above from higher fuse thrown in.

I wouldn't trust them but that is me. Not sure why one wouldn't just buy the xtva for a portable for in vehicle use. Permanent mounting is more logical for best rf applications.

By the way for reference, the power supply in question is ICT. Model number ICT1212012-2A. Output is 13.8 VDC with a current of 12A/10A Cont. photo of tag is attracted.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So should I be weary about running the XTL off of my DC power supply also? Even though I hardly transmit and when I do it will be on low power. Hence why I’ve been using a magnet mount as well.

If it's a 12A/10A, it's not going to run a 110w XTL. It'll probably run a mid power unit just fine, but it's putting stress on it as it's probably pulling darn close to 12amps. If TX time is low enough, you're probably OK.

It's a nice radio, why chintz out and have it work less than it should? Proper power supply, proper antenna, and enjoy the heck out it.
Honestly because I am not allowed to drill in the car, and I am not allowed to wire directly to the car battery. If anyone has any suggestions on how best to rig it up without doing those things it would be much appreciated!

a417

Who says you can't drill in the car? Oh right...okaaaay.

Neither of them when done correctly and safely will affect the resale of the vehicle one iota. You get a great radio and now you want to half-ass it. You might as well leave that radio home, that's where it will get it's best antenna system and power source with your self-imposed constraints on it. For all the rigamarole that comes with running & programming a moto radio (cps BS and the like), you sure are shooting that radio right where it counts...in the finals & power supply.

somewhere recently @mmckenna posted a full on how to to install a drilled antenna to a finish level that EXCEEDS what most public service entities actually do. Maybe he will remember which post it was in and link it here. It's authoritative. Your limitations are not.

[edit]
I bought this great new car. All wheel drive, all wheel steering, 2670 bhp. seats 8, powered by Mr Fusion. Fully voice controlled, active aerodynamics etc. I am running it on 4 compact spare tires, because I don't want to use the stock tires because the value of the car drops as I use the tires. My new top speed is 30, for 50 mi total distance and I can't go over speed bumps.

Does this sound like I made a wise investment?

Last edited:
Who says you can't drill in the car? Oh right...okaaaay.

Neither of them when done correctly and safely will affect the resale of the vehicle one iota. You get a great radio and now you want to half-ass it. You might as well leave that radio home, that's where it will get it's best antenna system and power source with your self-imposed constraints on it. For all the rigamarole that comes with running & programming a moto radio (cps BS and the like), you sure are shooting that radio right where it counts...in the finals & power supply.

somewhere recently @mmckenna posted a full on how to to install a drilled antenna to a finish level that EXCEEDS what most public service entities actually do. Maybe he will remember which post it was in and link it here. It's authoritative. Your limitations are not.
If it was up to me I would mount it permanently and do it right in the vehicle. That being said it’s not and I also built a really really nice radio cabinet that it goes into perfectly which is why I want to be able to run it off of the power supply, and then when I need to, put it in the car. If I do install it in the vehicle, is there any type of power terminal I can wire it too without going all the way to the battery?

a417

If it was up to me I would mount it permanently and do it right in the vehicle.
Its your radio.
That being said it’s not and I also built a really really nice radio cabinet that it goes into perfectly which is why I want to be able to run it off of the power supply, and then when I need to, put it in the car.
So now you have an unsecured radio cabinet rolling around the passenger compartment of an occupied vehicle? Not a good idea.

If I do install it in the vehicle, is there any type of power terminal I can wire it too without going all the way to the battery?
Depends on the car.

Its your radio.

So now you have an unsecured radio cabinet rolling around the passenger compartment of an occupied vehicle? Not a good idea.

Depends on the car.
Ok, first off it’s not in the car it’s in the house. It’s a really nice piece of furniture (mahogany wood) that I built from scratch myself. It currently houses 2 CDM radios and a hell of a lot of XTS5000s. Secondly although it’s my radio, my parents rightfully so don’t want me drilling in my car.

When I said put it into the car I was not referring to the cabinet. In addition it is a good investment because I will soon (in a year or 2) be able to drill and will drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.