A Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Apologies if posted in the wrong place!!! Am new to ham radio - my names David and am a retired ship's Captain - and also a US Citizen - born in the UK. I'm now living in Eastwood Notts and am studying for my UK foundation license. I brought with me an Icom ic-735 as new - currently researching a 10W transceiver.

Clubs are closed - and there's no contact with my local club - "Essex Ham" is my only point of contact! I've joined Ofcom and the RSGB - but am looking for an "Elmer" - Marine radio is very different from Ham!

David

morfis

David,
Not sure how you have 'joined' OFCOM unless you have become a civil servant.
I have no idea if the Radio Society of Good Buddies Ltd has any kind of online bulletin board - if they can make money from it then they will have. Several clubs have also organised over the air training for newcomers to the hobby over the past 18 months or so (some clubs had done this in one form or another for many years anyway - Widnes & Runcorn ARC for example).
There is a UK CB/Amateur/Scanning bulletin board at: Transmission1 - Index page
That's been around for a long time and there will certainly be people around your area who are members on there.

Good luck on your amateur radio journey

Status
Not open for further replies.