Wire A nice small antenna that should work well

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Anyone that has read my work here and in the wiki knows I'm a fan of loops. Having lived in nothing but small apartments and condos (I live in one now), I know that a loop will generally give you more bang for your buck. But what if you live near a city with a postage stamp sized yard and you still want a wire antenna? A PAR might fit, but if it doesn't, is there something smaller?

As it turns out the answer is yes. Go about 2/3 of the way down the page to the diagram of what is essentially a sloping end fed L..

The horizontal part is sloping and only 37 foot long. It's using a 18 foot vertical feed with a 'Bullet' at the near end with a couple of counterpoises and a choke near the receiver. The coax length is a bit steep but as its near the ground it should be hide-able as would be the counterpoises. Make this out of, say #22 clear speaker wire and it would be darn near invisible (watch out birds! heh)

This ought to work very well with these wide banded SDRs like the RTL-SDRv3, Funcube, etc. You still might need some front end preselection or filters if you're in an area with a lot of RF around but that's the nature of the beast. SDRs don't have the front end - yet- of a good desktop. Maybe someday...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Y'know come to think about this a little, there's no reason you couldn't set up a PAR this way...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.