Yaesu: A problem with a Yaesu FT-747GX

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

The Yaesu FT-747GX receiver can barfly pick up AM 610khz. The station transmits 25,000 watts and I am only a few miles from the radio station transmitter. Right now I am using an old mag mount with a whip stuck in it. The mag mount is on top of my window A/C unit in my room. I am in the process of rearranging the apt now that I have it all to my self. My radio station is going into the living room where I can run the coax out the window into my gated/locked yard where those local punks won't tear down my antennas anymore. Right now I am looking for a receiving mag mount antenna that will sit on my Window A/C unit and that will receive good. I don't think there is anything wrong with the receive in the Yaesu radio that I just got. I have had a Yaesu FT-747GX before and it worked great.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A short whip on a mag mount is going to be an absolutely lousy antenna for trying to receive a signal down in the AM broadcast band. You also may have a lot of RF noise.

You need to try a more appropriate antenna, like an end fed half wave or dipole.

steve-kc7byp

A short whip on a mag mount is going to be an absolutely lousy antenna for trying to receive a signal down in the AM broadcast band. You also may have a lot of RF noise.

You need to try a more appropriate antenna, like an end fed half wave or dipole.

The mag mount is not just for AM broadcast. In my old bed room, if I put out any ant out my old bed room window other then the mag mount. The local punks tare it down. Now that I have the apt to my self I am moving the radio shack to the living room. I can then run the coax's out the window into my gated/locked yard and no one will be able ro get at the antennas.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You don't say what frequency the mag mount is designed for (VHF. UHF, CB?) But no matter what, as others have mentioned above, it won't be much good for AM broadcast reception.

Most table radios and battery powered portable AM radios have a loop antenna built inside.. Which is why you don't need to do anything special to hear local AM broadcasts with them. But your 747 doesn't have any such provision.

You can buy a loop designed to pick up AM broadcast signals. Here's one similar to the one that came with my AM/FM stereo receiver https://www.amazon.com/Fancasee-Ant...d=1&keywords=am+antenna&qid=1618782263&sr=8-6

Many home stereo amp/receivers come with an external loop like this included. Solder on a coax connector and plug it in. You should be able to just leave it sitting by your radio so you don't have to worry about theft.

steve-kc7byp

Besides AM broadcast I am trying to hear anything on hf. 80 -10 meters. until I get around to moving my station and putting up a better TX antenna in my yard.

majoco

Stirrer
A reasonably good antenna for any frequency is a quarter-wavelength long and a good earth - so an antenna for the 80m amateur band will be 20metres long, say 22 yards. An antenna for your 610kHz/410metres BC band should be 122metres / 135 yards.

What 'mmckenna' said:
A short whip on a mag mount is going to be an absolutely lousy antenna for trying to receive a signal down in the AM broadcast band.

Status
Not open for further replies.