A PSR-700/800 cable question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
OK... Here is something I'd like to gather some opinions on. If you were able to get a cable for your GRE PSR-700/800 that instead of sticking straight out from the side of the scanner like the current cables do but, instead, took an immediate right angle turn and ran *down* alongside the case would you buy it? (As a corrolary, would having either radio actually coming with such a style cable be an influence in your deciding to buy either radio?) The reason I'm asking is fairly simple. Whether one wants to be able to standup the radio via a mounting stand on one's desk, put into/on some kind of mobile mount, or otherwise set it vertically, or in a somewhat confined situation, the existing supplied cable tends to greatly limit where and how you can do so.

As an example: I have a slanted `rack/holder' that usually can hold up to 3 HH scanners that I have been using for a fair number of years with HH scanners that have right angle co-axial power plugs. With these 2 new GRE scanners I can only have just 2 scanners setup or I can put 2 of the older ones and 1 of the GRE PSR-700/800 ones on it but I end up with the cable for the GRE one sticking out far enough that I have actually had problems snagging the cable and the occasional pulling the GRE scanner off the rack. So far I have been lucky enough to have caught the scanner before any harm has befallen it. I also have a setup on the headboard of our bed that I made out of some heavy wire, with a heavy-duty wire bender, that allows me to have a pair of scanners hung from it with both power and a pair of pillowspeakers plugged in so that I can listen to, and sometimes even catch, calls during the night without disturbing SWMBO. Unfortunately, because of how the cable sticks out as far as it does on the GRE scanners the cable presents a hazard of being caught and possibly violently yanked out of it's jack not only removing the external power to the scanner but also possibly causing damage to the jack in/on the scanner. (With my current `hanger' the GRE PSR-800 is currently the only model I would likely be using because of it's beltclip. I have been working upon several ways to bend a `holster' or `cradle' that would allow my PSR-700 to be hung but haven't yet come up with one that quite meets my `specs'. If there were `right angle' ended cables available for both scanners it would make mounting/hanging both scanners a lot more likely and easily done.)

Another place where I'd like to be able to have a right angle connector on the GRE PSR700/800 cables is is in our vehicles. In a couple vehicles I usually use a pair of `hang on the door between the window and the door panel' type cupholders and neither radio's connectors are all that useable/safe to use. In another one of our vehicles there are built-in dash type cupholders with openings in the bottom and a couple `shelves' / `cubbyholes' where the scanners, without the current cabling, fit quite nicely,safely and work well. If there were right angle ended cables available they would still do so *and* also have external power thereby saving the batteries for roaming away from the vehicle.

So, how do the rest of you feel? BTW, I can see other cases where having right angle USB connectors, or even both `left-handed' and `right-handed' adapters for those cases where one might need to have the exisiting cable exit one way in one situation and another way in another situation, would be useable and/or nice to have available. (As just one example having either a `left-handed' or `right-handed' cable or adapter would eliminate both the strain on the actual connection and/or the cable due to a routing problem like my initially mentioned .)

mliska

Right Angle Adapter

I bought 2 Motorola OEM SKN6182 Right Angle Charger Adapters from Amazon for for $5.62 including shipping. It was supplied by CellularFactory.com and can also be purchased directly from them. I use for scanner and GPS mainly to leave the adapter plugged in and plug the charger usb plug into the adapter saving wear and tear on the device connectors. The adapter is cheaper and easier to replace than the device socket. The 90 degree adapter also allows the usb to exitdown rather than straight out.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I bought 2 Motorola OEM SKN6182 Right Angle Charger Adapters from Amazon for for $5.62 including shipping. It was supplied by CellularFactory.com and can also be purchased directly from them. I use for scanner and GPS mainly to leave the adapter plugged in and plug the charger usb plug into the adapter saving wear and tear on the device connectors. The adapter is cheaper and easier to replace than the device socket. The 90 degree adapter also allows the usb to exitdown rather than straight out.
PSR-700/800 require mini USB port.

Halfpint

Hmmmmm... Farm out! At least for the users of the PSR-800. (The PSR-700 uses a smaller, and as far as *I* have been able to find, different USB `style?' / `Type?' connector.) {WAN GRIN!}

Having said that... I would still like to be able to find cables for both radios that could be used as power cables (*YES* I *do* know that the cable for the PSR-800 also handles data transfer between a computer and the radio. [For the record... I haven't bothered to use the computer to radio transfer preferring to just remove the microSD `card' and transfer `straight' computer to card. I've got a pair of microSD `cards' and I do changes to one and then shuffle the `cards' and update the one out of the radio and eventually make some more changes and do the shuffle again. I do basically the same for my PSR-700, too.]) Since the cable for the PSR-700 basically only has one other `chore' besides providing power I'd like to find a cable that has the correct radio end in a right-angle format that does just power and that way I can keep the `original' safe at home for use just for `firmware' updates and *occasional* `at home powering though I wouldn't rule out having an extra `power' cable at home.

Any... Again, *THANKS* mliska for that `heads up' about that adapter! I'll definitely look into getting at least one to try out. (But, that doesn't mean that I am going to forego the idea of a cable only `solution'. {VB GRIN!})

Halfpint

$3.28!? From where? Was it someplace that actually has a `brick & mortar' presence rather than `online'?

Amazon.
Seller is
Super Deal
19 West 9th St
Brooklyn NY 11231

Hmmmmm... I don't think that quite qualifies as a `brick-n-mortar' per se. {WAN GRIN!} (Unless you *just happen* to live close enough to *easily* get there.) If I were to order from them I expect that it would end up costing a lot more than that with just S&H and whatever other assorted `fees' that would come from credit card useage ETC..

Thanks, though, for letting it be known that it is possible to get them someplace at less that $5 a pop.

Halfpint

Halfpint I live in south east Virginia. I clicked a link in Amazon which gave me several choices. Some for $0.01 plus up to 5 bucks shipping. Mine was FREE S & H.so I paid ONLY $3.28 total. It arrived in 5 days via USPS.

Amazon.com: Motorola USB EMU Angle Port Adapter Skn6182a for Razr V3c V3 V3x V3i Pebl

Thanks! When one is limited to dial-up for their connection one doesn't spend more than the minimal amount of time on what may be `long' searches. So... Thanks for the link! I'll take a look at that when I finish my reading here.

Halfpint

BTW, I've been getting some interesting `feedback', from various quarters, when it comes to using the aforementioned right angle adapter. The main concern revolves around possible problems with the jack in whatever device the adapter is plugged into. Because the adapter adds to the overall length of the `plug end' it may cause the DUT's jack to part company with the circuit board. This because it adds more `leverage' to the cable's side. Think of having a lever that is 3' long and has it's fulcrum right upon the `working end' and then doubling said lever to 6' thereby also effecting a doubling of the `power' applied to whatever one is trying to move. While it seems like this shouldn't be all that big deal with adding one of these adapters I have been regaled with instances of certain device's jacks `coming adrift' with only one could call a `slight bump'!?

Just some `food for thought'!?

Having mentioned the above I am going to probably spring for one of those adapters whilst also keeping up the `campaign' for cables that already have the right angle plug on the `DUT' end.

Status
Not open for further replies.