A question for all you LMR techs out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4rez

For a base station (or a repeater) that uses a tone remote, what kind of phone line do you lease from the phone company. This is considering that only one line is needed and it would be overkill to lease a T1 for the application. Would it be a "dry pair" or would it be driven by the telco?

In short what I am asking is: If I purchase a tone remote and a tone remote controlled base, can I simply hook up phone wiring between the two and expect it to work, or am I going to have to simulate a phone switch in the middle?

iamhere300

w4rez said:
For a base station (or a repeater) that uses a tone remote, what kind of phone line do you lease from the phone company. This is considering that only one line is needed and it would be overkill to lease a T1 for the application. Would it be a "dry pair" or would it be driven by the telco?

In short what I am asking is: If I purchase a tone remote and a tone remote controlled base, can I simply hook up phone wiring between the two and expect it to work, or am I going to have to simulate a phone switch in the middle?

Dry pair. Just two wires between the two, although in todays time, it will go
through lots of telco equipment to get there, muxed, demuxed, etc.

It takes a lot to get a dedicated dry pair, like you would need for a DC remote.

w4rez

Ok that's what I was wondering was if the circuit was driven by the the equipment on the end of the circuit or if a phone switch was driving it.

Now I have use for all of the empty space in my attic and the cheaply available surplus tone remote equipment >:)

gcgrotz

iamhere300 said:
Dry pair. Just two wires between the two, although in todays time, it will go
through lots of telco equipment to get there, muxed, demuxed, etc.

It takes a lot to get a dedicated dry pair, like you would need for a DC remote.

Right, that's why they came up with tone remote because of the problems with dedicated dry copper pairs. With tone remote you don't care what the telco does in between as long as you get your signal back at the other end.

If you're thinking of running your own twisted pair (telephone) wire to your watch the levels as a typical telco audio circuit comes out -16db at the far end from what you put into it, which should be no more that 0dbm and your own copper wire would not have this built in attenuation.

Have fun playing with your stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.