A Question Regarding New Mexico State Police Call Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORCAL

Does anyone know how the call signs for the New Mexico State Police work? If you were monitoring radio traffic in Deming, let’s say, what you expect to hear as oppose to what you would hear in the Las Cruses area. What are the rules that the NM State Police Dept uses when it comes to radio call signs?

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Nmsp

Hello,

It seems my fellow New Mexicans have gotten shy. I live in Santa Fe, so all I can speak about it how the State Police operates in the Northern part of the State.
At one time there were 14 Districts covering New Mexico. Up here, the State Police call signs are the numbers you see on the cars and on their license plates. For example, if the SP car you see has the number 323 on it, then normally that is the call sign you will hear from dispatch. In NM we dispatch sort of back wards. Instead of Unit 323 Santa Fe, you will here Santa Fe Unit 323. The SP generally follow the APCO 10 codes but do have some variation to the codes. I hope that helps. Like I said, I don't know if they dispatch differently down south.

Tim/icemantim8

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
I didn't reply cus I really don't know. Other than what icemantim said don't know much more. Same here they say "Las Cruces 123" or "Deming to 123"

SCPD

QRT
I moved from New Mexico almost 25 years ago (short 5 weeks now) and so I don't have much to add. As mentioned the license plate of the car is the unit callsign. Each officer is assigned a car, so another officer does not use the same callsign. This leads to the question of if the license number is the same as the officer's badge number. The New Mexico Game and Fish Department used the badge number of the officer for the radio callsign, so there is some possibility that the State Police do the same.

NORCAL

NM State Highway Call Signs

To all who responded to my NM Call Sign question, I sincerely appreciate the information. Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
Norcal

Status
Not open for further replies.