a rare exotic post about feedlines - never before seen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davecason

Hi Folks,

Here's a question you've never seen before about coax (grin) I need some feed line:

- One for a HT feeding a 6 fiberglass duel band on the roof, and yep, right now it's 5 watts but eventually I'll try to find a 50 or 100 VHF/UHF rig that will stay in the house permanently so why not get the "good stuff" now or am I an idiot? (it's rhetorical)

- The second piece is coming off the tuner fed from the Icom 745 out to a G5RV and he's up to 100 watts on a good day. So I need two lengths - for fun we'll say both are 100'.

This is awesome because I found a 100' length of LRM 400 with connectors for only $59.00 bucks on ebay, great huh? Yea, exactly, who make that junk and what sort of string is the core conductor made of ? I know that much ......

So here's my question, I think LMR400 a specific brand name made by Times Microwave, right !?
So when snooping around on ebay that's the brand and part number I want to make sure I'm buying?

As for the debate on LMR400 vs Belden 9913 and stuff like that, I have stuck with the LMR 400 because they say it's less likely to become a water hose and I'm a newbie and only a semi decent installer.

I see stuff like Cinta and Shireen brand cable but I'm guessing I should stay away from that stuff and anyone offering 100' for $59 bucks? (grin)

Cheers'
Dave

prcguy

LMR400 is a trade name for Times Microwave coax but there are many clones that are just fine. Cinta brand is made by Andrew who is now owned by Commscope. Andrew is famous for their dish antennas with red lightning bolts and also Heliax hardline coax. Commscope probably sells more coax a month than Times does in a year.

I bought 2000ft of Commscope LMR400 and its just fine, a little stiffer than TImes but otherwise the same loss and it will live a very long life outdoors. If you watch Ebay you can find great deals on this stuff. The 1000ft wood spools of Commscope LMR400 cost me $179 each because a company was selling it surplus, leftover from some big job.
prcguy

DisasterGuy

LMR 400 is fine for both applications and yes it is made by Times Microwave. The other option (what I would personally use) is 1/2" Heliax LDF4-50F with 1/4" super flex as jumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davecason

wow sweet ....

Hi guys,

Wow ... Yea I think that if I could find 1000' of comscope for that price I'd buy it too! (grin)

I'm gonna grab some Times Micro LMR 400 that I found on the web for $143 for 100' and for me that's a good price. The local shop sells Belden 8214 for $5.17 per meter so what the heck. I'll stick with the brand names too ...

I'm going to run the LMR 400 for my VHF/UHF stuff ..... also the way I have my new G5RV mounted at the house I only need 12 feet to get to my ladder line so 8214 will be fine .....

Thanks again for the tips !

Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.