A Real Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinook

Just recently purchased the Radio Shack Pro96 scanner and it looks like it's going to be a pretty cool radio if I can just figure it out. This new digital scanner is light years away from the old analog type that I'm used to. I've got the basic idea of what I want to do with it, but it's all done in a completely different way, which causes me to end up way out in left field. I am by no means a brainiac on this scanner stuff. Is there a tutorial guide of sorts for dummies for the Pro96 that can help me figure out some of the basics? Also, I've seen mentioned Win96 software and a programming cable. Is this something I should have? I have Windows Vista. I apologize to all you smart folks with something so piddley, but man, I need all the help I can get. Thanks a lot.

hoser147

AlabamaRS is right, get the cable and Win96 software and a Premium Membership here at RR and it makes it alot easier and you can change your programing in a matter of seconds with it. Good Scannin Hoser

chinook

Thanks again for the replies, but no more is neccessary. I no longer have the scanner. Took it back to Radio Shack. 500 bucks is a bunch for something I wouldn't really get the full benefit of, simply because I couldn't understand it. A good scanner, but way above my head. Thanks to all though.

jleverin

Chinook
Unless all the agencies in your area are digital, you would have been better off to go with a much cheaper analog scanner like I did. I still haven't gotten the cash together for a pro-96 yet, started out with a pro-82 and now a pro-97 and am picking up plenty of signals. They were much easier to program and get my feet wet in scanning on until I get more used to things and then I will probably buy a 96. By the way, I have seen some 82's and 97's on ebay for sale cheap lately, better than going to the local RS store and having a bunch of clueless knuckleheads try to sell you something you don't need. All these people are buying pro-96's. Where in the world are you getting $500 to plunk down on a scanner, husband would kill me if I did that. A hundred to a hundred and thirty is one thing, but $500+?

chinook

A real newbie

I've tried a couple different analog scanners but they didn't seem to pick up anything. Nothing worthwhile anyway like the police/fire/amb. Seems like the main ones are all going digital. I wish they made a more affordable digital scanner. I didn't actually have the $500 to plunk down on it as you say. Used my RS card. I returned it and my account was credited with no problem. I'm glad now that I think more about it. I'll check with Ebay. Thanks alot. Have a good day.

jleverin

Sorry you had such problems with it that you decided to take it back, these scanners are really fun to listen to once you get past the frustration of the programming. That is the fault I have with RS stores nowdays, they have no one usually who knows scanners well enough to support the customers with questions. I was extremely lucky when I bought my first scanner, just happened the guy who sold it to me was very knowledgable and was able to help me with programming and questions I had. After that, forget it everybody there was clueless! I thought for awhile I had stepped into the local cell phone shack instead of RS because that's all those guys knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.