a reliable list of scanners that are reband ready today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pomopojo

So there seems to be at least three categories of scanners now. Those that are reband ready today, those that are reband capable but but are not currently "ready" (pro-164, for example), and those that are on the brink of complete obsolescence because they can't trunk the rebanded systems. I own scanners that are in the last two categories but need one that is reband-ready NOW.

I own the reband-capable but not reband-ready today pro-164, but I haven't the luxury of time to wait for a software update. I need to trunk in Davis and Weber counties now.

So has anyone found or compiled a list of scanners that are truly reband ready today/immediately/without delay? In the alternative, if there is no such list, what are common google search terms I should use when shopping for a scanner that is reband ready today? Is the descriptor "digital" necessary, sufficient, or neither?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'd ask Radioshak these questions but they know a lot less than you folks! I actually informed two Radioshak clerks at two stores in Davis County that the reband had even occurred - they had no idea and even less idea of how to help.

qlajlu

Silent Key
No, I don't get a commission

pomopojo, the RR Wiki indeed has a very informative list of scanners that are or can be reband-ready. Some of them are as you say, waiting for their manufactures to catch up with the current state of things. That is an unfortunate thing because they have known for many years this day was coming. I have been a heavy user of Uniden products since I began scanning, but they just were not ready to meet the demands of rebanding when we came "under the knife" of the UCAN engineers.

Because of this, I jumped ship, as it were, and joined a good share of our Utah members by purchasing a GRE PSR-600. Others got the PSR-500. The basic difference is the 500 is a handheld and battery powered while the 600 is considered Mobile and obtains its power through a converter. Both are digital capable right out of the box. Another thing that made the GRE PSR-500/600 an enticing choice was the way GRE America has responded so rapidly to suggestions from the users of its products.

With that being said, even when I received the 600 it was already out of date. Updating the CPU and DSP was fast and painless. I have been using mine for several months now and after the initial learning curve which we all agreed was very steep, it has been a good choice for me and programming couldn't be easier than with WIN500 by Starsoft.

The PSR-500/600s are pricey, but then any scanner that can do what this one does will be in the same price range. If you decide to go this route, you will find plenty of help on this forum with so many of us that have been down the road. There is a thread here dedicated strictly to the GREs in Utah.

Check out The Radio Company and mention this post by them to see if they still offer their discount.

EDIT TO ADD: You will NOT find ANY scanner ready-to-go right out of the box today. Even with new scanners it will be necessary to "upgrade" to post-rebanding standards. Just a fact in our world of scanning.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As of this writing, the Uniden 396, 996, BCT15 and BC246 have all had firmware upgrades that make them (hopefully) rebanding ready. Certainly not ready 'out of the box', but after the upgrades are done...it's not really as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I've done my 396 3 or 4 times now. After the first time, it gets lots easier 73 Mike

dpalmer2508

...for the input guys!

(and gals)

I also appreciate all the input and help from those Utah users on RR. I opted not to purchase the Pro-164 and went with a 246 because of the info I have found on RR submitted by Utah listerners/users. I have become convinced that the latest firmware (2.60) http://info.uniden.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=BC246T_Update_2_60_Release_Notes and the latest version of freescan "7E" I can get it to work.

Being as cheap as I am, this seemed to be the least expensive way to do it and be as "sure" as I can that it will work. The Pro-164 just seemed to be too nebulous in my mind, even through it would have been about $60 cheaper.

Now that I have a Pro-95 that I am replacing, perhaps I will tap it and start using trunker!

k7hcp

So there seems to be at least three categories of scanners now. Those that are reband ready today, those that are reband capable but but are not currently "ready" (pro-164, for example), and those that are on the brink of complete obsolescence because they can't trunk the rebanded systems. I own scanners that are in the last two categories but need one that is reband-ready NOW.

I own the reband-capable but not reband-ready today pro-164, but I haven't the luxury of time to wait for a software update. I need to trunk in Davis and Weber counties now.

So has anyone found or compiled a list of scanners that are truly reband ready today/immediately/without delay? In the alternative, if there is no such list, what are common google search terms I should use when shopping for a scanner that is reband ready today? Is the descriptor "digital" necessary, sufficient, or neither?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'd ask Radioshak these questions but they know a lot less than you folks! I actually informed two Radioshak clerks at two stores in Davis County that the reband had even occurred - they had no idea and even less idea of how to help.

Since UCAN Weber Co/Davis Co too place this past couple of weeks I too found my Pro-97 was obsoleted. Ran out and bought a Pro-164 only to find it had the same problem tracking the rebanded voice channels. A RadioShack.com flash update took my scanner from V1.02 to V1.04 with hopes that would provide me with a solution, but that was not the case. Same problem remained.

Yesterday I helped a friend that owned a Pro-528 reprogram his scanner to the newly Rebanded Davis and Weber UCAN frequencies and IT WORKS JUST FINE. The new replacement for this model is the Pro-162. This model was mfg for RS by Uniden. I wish it was a GRE product. But then if it were it would probably have the same problem as the Pro-164.
Good Luck,
K7HCP

DickH

If you can wait 4 days, Radio Shack has a "secret" sale from Dec. 18 to 25. The PRO-162 is only $99 and you can set up Custom Band Plans in it. By putting in 2 custom band plans you should be able to hear all the re-banded systems.

bruino1

i was in radio shack the other day and asked them about that. they told me there is still two mounths left, also he told me that they are swiching from analog to digital

kf7yn

As usual, Radio Shack has the wrong answers. UCAN is not going to digital and it's already totally rebanded.
It's like they fabricate stories when they don't know the answer. Not good!

Status
Not open for further replies.