A screw loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
My PRO-96 started making a rattling noise today. No, not a digital noise out of the speaker, an actual real-life there-is-something-small-and-metal-rolling-around-in-this-thing noise. So I pop the battery cradle out and peek in there... nothing. Shake it around a bit... rattle, rattle, rattle, aww great... I set the thing down to go to get a screwdriver and lo and behold, the offending rattling screw drops out of the hole just above where the battery goes.

The scanner still works and now there's no rattle, but now I'm left to wonder... where'd the screw come from????? First the side grips fall off, now it's losing screws?! :eek: Anyone else have this happen? I've absolutely abused my other RS scanners and this has NEVER happened before. By contrast, this PRO96 was treated better than my kids (well OK, my kids don't get left in hot cars and so on, but still) yet it so far has pretty much fallen apart all by itself. Something don't add up here... maybe I didn't beat this thing up enough?

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

-AZ

InlandAZ

There are two small screws in the battery compartment - all the way at the bottom (below the Warning text). If they're both still there, I can only guess that the circuit board has a screw loose...

Sounds like you need to open it up and have a look see.

jas24

AZscanner
I also have the same problem with my Pro-96. I have not opened it up yet to see where the screw is from. The side grips have also fell off. The date code of my scanner is 07A05.

kc7vtr

When I bought a used Pro-96 the small side grip above the charging jack was gone.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
My 96 still looks like the day I brought it home from the shack. No rattling and no problems with the grips. Have you ever sent the radio in at any point for repair? If so, maybe the tech left a screw loose.

hulka

The only problem I have had with mine is the BNC connector on top turns about 1/4 inch both directions, and the battery door is broke. Other than that, knock on wood, it is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.