A small mess is beginning to develop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some of you might know that I run regular reports using wiki based utilities to check for articles that don't link to anything (called 'orphans') and those that aren't assigned to any categories. Both, as defined in our user guide, are not allowed. Orphans are only permitted when creating a multi page article where the associated pages are not yet ready, and you need a place holder.

Orphans are a particular problem because if an article isn't linked to something else, no one else can find it without searching for it, and the difficulty is compounded by not having the title. Simply put, no one can contribute to the article if no one can find it.

Linking an article to another one is a simple matter - simply create a line on the article you wish to link from by surrounding the title of the article you wish to link to with 2 square brackets like this;

* [[New Article Title]]

There are MANY such article links in most any of the articles linked in the collaboration gateway in the US states - check any one of them out to see how that works.

The asterisk in the leftmost column forces the wiki to create an unordered item for it. Basically speaking, it's a whole lot easier than having to put <br> all over the place every time you want to start a new line.

The following articles have been flagged as orphans - if they are to be dropped, please send me an email and I will take care of it...

Bob Evans Farm Gallia County (OH) - The RadioReference Wiki

FELHC (Jersey Central Power & Light) - The RadioReference Wiki

Manchester Township - The RadioReference Wiki

Naval Air Station Lakehurst - The RadioReference Wiki

Nebraska Land Mobile Radio System (NELMRS) / Omaha Regional Interoperability Network (ORION) UnidenXT Unit IDs Omaha Fire - The RadioReference Wiki

Our House Museum Gallia County (OH) - The RadioReference Wiki

To rename an article, simply Move it. There is a 'Move' tab on the left underneath the 'Delete' tab. Since the article links to nothing, it's a one step process - otherwise the person moving it is also responsible for adjusting all the links to the article. This too is documented in our user guide.

I would also avoid putting 'Uniden XT' anywhere in the title. As I was reminded just recently the GRE PSR500 and 600 also can read UIDs, and I believe utilities like UniTrunker can, too. If you wish to mention that a particular model radio was used to grab these IDs, that's fine - just don't put it in the title.

I will categorize the articles that don't have any at the moment, but please take the time to link these articles properly. Remember, if no one can find it, no one can add to it - and that defeats the purpose of having an area where anyone can contribute.

73 Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The two Ohio links are taken care of. Sorry about that. Just a brain fart. I hadn't been doing much Wiki'ing as of late.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No worries, as my Aussie friends at work always say. I just can't let something like this grow - with almost 4000 articles currently in the wiki, if it does, I've got a lot of cleanup to do....thanks 73 Mike

elias1988

Feed Provider
Please drop the Naval Air Station Lakehurst one,the JCP&L and Manchester Township (NJ) have been corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.