A story of a wire in a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny290

Oh lawd, what a change.

Saturday night at 1am. I'm wide awake with nothing to do. "Hmm," I say. "What's out in the garage?"

Hey, cool. 35 feet of two pair phone cable. Hmm, the pairs are blue and green. BLUE AND GREEN? That means sky and tree camo!

Let me preface this by saying that I hate 75 meters. I hate it because it is the place to be right now in the cycle, and I fail at life, and didn't go to college, and as such I rent now instead of owning like I should, and I live on a very hip but also very small city lot that already looks like an aluminum factory puked on the roof due to my satellite and VHF/UHF antennas. Not to mention that my backyard is bisected by the 220v feed. Nice planning for me, you jerks.

But, what the hey, I say. I can put up a wire, confirm that I can't make a contact or hear anybody, and then pull it down and make a 30m vertical with the guts.

So, a'strippin I went. 10 minutes later I had two runs of wire (I didn't untwist the pairs, i shorted conductors together) and soldered together, I had one run just suitable for a quarter wave at 75m. Now how to feed?

Out in the backyard, I've got a dog of a vertical. It's a Hy-gain AV18VS. Basically 18 feet of metal stick with a series coil in the feedpoint. Change the tap on the coil, tune it a bit. It's terrible at 80 and 40, actually quite good on higher bands. I've got about 15 radials down for this in a weird arc, and the thing's mounted on about 120 feet of chainlink fence. There's my feedpoint. Since the feedpoint is right at the AV-18's feedpoint on the fence, when I want to go 80m, I just unclip the tap from the AV-18's coil, and clip it onto my 'phone' or 'cw' position on the coil. Go in, good to go.

So, here I am, it's 3 in the morning, and I'm throwing bottles of water with twine tied to them into trees. (Less danger, enough mass and I don't have any more blown up deep well sockets to use.) Good thing I live in a crazy urban area and there are random drunks everywhere - my antics look vanilla in comparison.

The wire gets up at the highest about 27, 28 feet in the crook of a tree. I just used some line with a loop in the end, ran the antenna wire through it (no tight connection here so the wire can swing) and pulled it through/up. The feedpoint's five feet off ground, the far end gets tied off in the top branch of our front yard bush (again with the water bottles over trees, you) about 12 feet off the ground. The 'feedpoint leg' is about 30 degrees off vertical, enough so that if I'm drunk and lean a bit it's giving me a little bit of vertical polarization, and the far leg slopes down at about 15 degrees.

Now, I know you can't have an antenna to play on the whole band with. My thinking is to tune it for phone, then build a small series coil to hang off the feedpoint. I can feed it at the end of the coil, tune that for the CW/digi band.

So, off I go for initial tuning.

Wow, this thing resonates at 3.35 mhz. Snip, snip, snip. 3.45. Making progress. Snip, snip, snip. 3.6. Jeez, there's four feet of wire on the ground already. Snip, snip. 3.75. Check the band edge - 1.5 SWR at 3950. Close, but our state net is 3987.5. Snip. 3.8 dead on. 1.5 SWR at 3725 and 4000 KHz. Now for the coil adjustment....hmm, a little high, add a few turns. Little low, cut one off. Snip one more, BAM. 1.5 SWR at 3525 and 3750. Welp, that's the band! Not bad for only one switch needing to be thrown, and for a pair of AWG 22 conductors.

Now, all of this silly narration for what? Because I"m absolutely GOBSMACKED at how much of an improvement this is. For the first time in a year I've been able to check into the Arkansas 75m net, with a strong 59 report no less, and I hear every. single. checkin. NVIS (short range skywave) through OK/AR/KS/MO is awesome, and I have nailed QSO's in seven states in about four casual hours since the antenna's been up.

So, the moral of the story - even if you don't think you can throw up a real antenna, be resourceful. Find junk, use it. Use your surroundings to your advantage. Don't be too afraid to try out an antenna. I was worried that my landlord would gripe, but then I stepped back to the front curb and realized that even I was having trouble finding the wire, and since our neighborhood's skyline is 70% trees and 20% above-ground power lines, it tricks the eye into thinking that it's just some weird far-off wire. The blue, green and white (on the second conductor) blend in almost perfectly with the skyline.

I now have enough signal that I get S7 background noise on an empty frequency. As such I can engage my attenuator and RF gain down a bit; copy on ragchews is so much better, it's shocking.

dumb question - where do people cq on 75? heh.

Last edited:

Jose_Pointero

So you're transmitting on that antenna? How much power?

And yeah when I was first getting into SWL I discovered the magic of random-crap antennas. I had speaker wire run all over our roof that got awesome reception, if a bit noisy. Now I have a "real" antenna, and it isn't much better than the speaker wire setup I was using before. 75 meter always seems the busiest band down here.

By the way Jonny, I'm getting my license on the 26th :) I'll probably be shooting you a few questions via PM in the near future.

jonny290

awesome and future-congrats :D Don't get too stressed about it and of course I suggest taking as many tests as you can in one session. Who knows, you can be one of those super cool no-ticket-to-Extra in one session guys. :D

I've put about 125 watts ssb peak through it so far. I don't have much going on in the way of insulation (think a foot of rope on each end) and don't want to use too high power with it. But I was able to talk on 75 at full power with no SWR spikes or jumps, and I was able to put 60 watts continuous on PSK31 for a few minutes.

Once I get paid on the 20th I intend to go buy 100 feet of AWG 16 speaker wire from Radio Shack. That's a total of 200 feet of wire, which is enough for me to redo this with thicker wire and to try a 133 foot version for 160m, and build acrylic insulators. Then I'll be comfortable pushing max power through it all day.

prcguy

Now that you have a good HF antenna, why not feed it with some real feedline like 450ohm open ladder type? With a cheap tuner it will allow you to transmit across the entire HF spectrum from 80m on up and should also work at reduced efficiency on 160.
prcguy
jonny290 said:
awesome and future-congrats :D Don't get too stressed about it and of course I suggest taking as many tests as you can in one session. Who knows, you can be one of those super cool no-ticket-to-Extra in one session guys. :D

I've put about 125 watts ssb peak through it so far. I don't have much going on in the way of insulation (think a foot of rope on each end) and don't want to use too high power with it. But I was able to talk on 75 at full power with no SWR spikes or jumps, and I was able to put 60 watts continuous on PSK31 for a few minutes.

Once I get paid on the 20th I intend to go buy 100 feet of AWG 16 speaker wire from Radio Shack. That's a total of 200 feet of wire, which is enough for me to redo this with thicker wire and to try a 133 foot version for 160m, and build acrylic insulators. Then I'll be comfortable pushing max power through it all day.

Shortwavewave

Thats great! I always find myself trying to find new things to mess with.

I have a question, now this might not make sence, but you have, lets say 100ft of wire is it better to have more noise?(like an s7) or none (s0 or s1) the reason i ask is because i seem to pick up more on a loop thats 100ft(s1) than a random wire thats 100ft(s7) everything is covered up by noise

Ive been trying to figure out this dilima for some time and some even have 1300ft wires??
whats the point if its all covered up by noise?
Can anyone help?

key2_altfire

Great story! Good early-morning laughs for me. There's a monster pine tree in front of my house, lessee if I can throw a water bottle up there without it coming down & crashing through the windshield of my neighbor's car!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
prcguy said:
Now that you have a good HF antenna, why not feed it with some real feedline like 450ohm open ladder type? With a cheap tuner it will allow you to transmit across the entire HF spectrum from 80m on up and should also work at reduced efficiency on 160.
prcguy

Excellent idea. I use a ladder line fed 40 meter dipole and an SGC autotuner. It gets out great on 80 and 160.

jonny290

Due to my living situation, the only possible feedpoint is approximately 13 coax feet from the house, and half of that runs along a chainlink fence, the other half runs against the house. It's seriously right outside my back window.

I want to do a ladder line setup soon but I figure at these low frequencies the short coax length really isn't doing that much impedance transformation at all, and since I'm not using a tuner the coax loss is at a minimum.

I do have a 40m inverted V in a tree on the back fence line about 40 feet away. I've done the math and it'd be a great distance for a G5RV, but I don't want to run one.

The way the tree is positioned, though, I could hang the apex of an off-center Windom cut for 80m there, and I've thought about doing that and running 300 ohm balanced line to it. That might give me a bit of multiband love.

K2GOG

Jose_Pointero said:
So you're transmitting on that antenna? How much power?

And yeah when I was first getting into SWL I discovered the magic of random-crap antennas. I had speaker wire run all over our roof that got awesome reception, if a bit noisy. Now I have a "real" antenna, and it isn't much better than the speaker wire setup I was using before. 75 meter always seems the busiest band down here.

By the way Jonny, I'm getting my license on the 26th :) I'll probably be shooting you a few questions via PM in the near future.

When I was a wee lad, I had a friend with a club house in the back yard that resembled a smaller version of his house. Since we were both into "radio" he decided to build a loop antenna to one up me that just so happened to "magically" have the same dimensions of the roof. In essence it was a multi-turn coil wrapped around a couple nails. I guess it was at most 4 x 6 foot and since it was a pitch roof, there was a coil on either side.

I forget how well it worked, but it did look pretty fancy and he claims that he built it to resonance.

Later on it ended up being handy for a "ground system" for an HF (read as CB) vertical I recall

and then there was my famous "fishing line pully assisted random wire antenna" to the neighboring yard. "Yes, Dad -that is a really long spider web. Dont disturb it when cleaning the gutters.....

but that is a story for a different day. :D

Last edited:

hsdtech

I built my own dipole/off center fed/home built wire antenna for HF and it works great. The center is about 15-20ft then each leg slopes down to my 6ft wood fence. Then each leg runs across the top of the fence on each side and the back. One side is about 80ft and the other about 100ft or so. I am using 300ohm twin lead feedline, going to a manual tuner. I can tune 6m-160 with 1.5:1 swr or less on every band. All I have is 100w max. If I can hear 'em I can work 'em. I have talked all over the country and world. My antenna is made up of scrap wire; speaker wire, telephone wire, guy wire, etc. WORKS GREAT!

To the OP, just roll the vfo up and down 75/80 any night from around 6pm and you will hear qso after qso.
160m is a great night time band with very little noise compared to 75/80.

Status
Not open for further replies.