A suggestion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
With this new rearrangement of the way the data base pages display. One often finds it IMPOSSIBLE to see what changes have been made.

Since many of the listings are no longer displayed on the first page, can the associated tab reflect the appropriate color relating to updates? This will help many in finding what change have been made, thus helping to return this to an efficient data base.

Such a pain to seek and then only find a minor change in an agency one didn't want to follow anyway.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I'm not sure I understand your point. Prior to the change, agencies were listed at the bottom of the county page and I don't recall them being highlighted if they were changed there. Indeed they are still not highlighted if changed now that they are located on a tab at the top of the page as opposed to having to scroll to the bottom of the page to find them.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
At some point in time I know from having made submissions on some airports, the airports were highlighted. If that feature was turned off I have no idea as to when or how long after my submissions this changed. I thought this was also true with some ARES corrections not too long ago (within the past year)

My point is I have seen a county highlighted in green or yellow and no highlight on the first page of this new layout..

In finding an example from "Siskiyou County California - Other Agencies," I see that the air fields now are bulleted and not box listed as the others are in the data base. Seems to be an inconvenient way to list those making one have to do extra clicks.

There is a statistic about the number of click one has to do to get their desired information, I forget what the stats are other than less is best.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
At some point in time I know from having made submissions on some airports, the airports were highlighted. If that feature was turned off I have no idea as to when or how long after my submissions this changed. I thought this was also true with some ARES corrections not too long ago (within the past year)

My point is I have seen a county highlighted in green or yellow and no highlight on the first page of this new layout..

In finding an example from "Siskiyou County California - Other Agencies," I see that the air fields now are bulleted and not box listed as the others are in the data base. Seems to be an inconvenient way to list those making one have to do extra clicks.

There is a statistic about the number of click one has to do to get their desired information, I forget what the stats are other than less is best.
In relation to ARES corrections, until we opened up Amateur Radio to all repeaters with the recent roll out Skywarn/ARES/RACES repeaters were typically located on the main county page; hence, they would have been highlighted on the page when you landed on the county page. They are now considered a separate category (somewhat like agencies) and are under their own tab. I don't remember separate agencies ever being highlighted on the county page, but then I am not perfect. As for the click statistic, well there is also lots of statistics about not having to scroll down many pages on a web page to get to where you want to be, I don't know where you are (your home county) but if you look at my home county you might understand, the more we can put at the top of the page the better.

captclint

Mentor
I'm not sure I understand your point. Prior to the change, agencies were listed at the bottom of the county page and I don't recall them being highlighted if they were changed there. Indeed they are still not highlighted if changed now that they are located on a tab at the top of the page as opposed to having to scroll to the bottom of the page to find them.
I agree with the OP. If Business freq were on a "2nd" page with a link on the main page to Business, the specific agencies changed were in green...same for airports. I can't fathom why that would change with the placement, as they are true database entries, regardless of what page they are on.

However, DBA Gilligan has been changing just about every county in PA with sort order, subcatogories, and other non-specific item changes. These do not show up. I assume other DBA are doing the same thing, so this may be causing some of the confusion.

kma371

QRT

We as DB admins have the choice to highlight or not to highlight for easy terms.

For example, if I change a callsign in a listing, it's really not all that important of an update (unless your into collection callsigns haha)

So I can choose not to highlight that county/listing, thus it doesnt turn green.

However if I change a freq or PL tone, then I'm sure that's important to people who monitor it, so we chose to highlight.

Does that make sense?

I know recently I changed something at a siskiyou airport that was minor. There was a few I did though at other airports that weren't.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
We as DB admins have the choice to highlight or not to highlight for easy terms.

For example, if I change a callsign in a listing, it's really not all that important of an update (unless your into collection callsigns haha)

So I can choose not to highlight that county/listing, thus it doesnt turn green.

However if I change a freq or PL tone, then I'm sure that's important to people who monitor it, so we chose to highlight.

Does that make sense?

I know recently I changed something at a siskiyou airport that was minor. There was a few I did though at other airports that weren't.

Where as this is true, it does not highlight even if you do not make that choice.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
In relation to ARES corrections, until we opened up Amateur Radio to all repeaters with the recent roll out Skywarn/ARES/RACES repeaters were typically located on the main county page; hence, they would have been highlighted on the page when you landed on the county page. They are now considered a separate category (somewhat like agencies) and are under their own tab. I don't remember separate agencies ever being highlighted on the county page, but then I am not perfect. As for the click statistic, well there is also lots of statistics about not having to scroll down many pages on a web page to get to where you want to be, I don't know where you are (your home county) but if you look at my home county you might understand, the more we can put at the top of the page the better.

I u7nderstan some of the different counties across our great land are extensive in their use of radio frequencies - LA out here in Calif another great example. But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a way to easily see and find the updates short of having them listed in summary as you first get to the page (not a good choice). If the green or yellow highlight were extended to the tabs and the categories one would know what data was changed.

Once again I think the use of the bullet listings as in the second tab is silly and if done that why not on the first tab? As you state certainly most counties will have more info listed there in the first than in the second tab. Again this last comment is only observation and not intended to change the layout, just the use of highlighting the changes.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber

Does that make sense?

But if you elect to turn off the highlight does that toggle off the effect it has to the county and state highlight?

I see your doing admin changes or call signs and have seen those in the recent changes when i look at that. NP That makes perfect sense.

But if you were to add a frequency or some talkgroups to a business, (question to loumaag) how will I know i know it's not one of the 4 amusement parks,or 9 hospitals, or 5 airports that had the change? How do I easily see which one of the 25 businesses that changed?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Have an answer.

The answer in reference to the highlighting is that agencies are not able to be highlighted at this time. Changes are still located in the history of the agency and the individual changes are highlighted in the agency as always; but, you will not have a ready clue as to what agency was changed. :(

OCO

The answer in reference to the highlighting is that agencies are not able to be highlighted at this time. Changes are still located in the history of the agency and the individual changes are highlighted in the agency as always; but, you will not have a ready clue as to what agency was changed. :(

Lou: What are the chances of getting a real change report generated - perhaps by System within the County, showing what elements were before and after? The current change log doesn't have enough detail to figure out whether to regenerate a system or just go in and edit it.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber

Ah I see some massaging of the database triggers while a re-write of the page code would be called for. Makes sense.

captclint

Mentor
We as DB admins have the choice to highlight or not to highlight for easy terms....[snip]....Does that make sense?
Thanks for explaining this. I did not know it was at your discretion. Yes, it makes sense to not highlight "insignificant" changes. The problem is that ANY change causes the county to be highlighted in green, so a lot posts get generated asking what was changed when no specific frequency shows up in green.

While a "real change report" would be very nice, I think the current change log plus the Green highlight is sufficient.

Lou,
I understand the issue now. I did not mean to imply that an agency sub category was highlighted before. I was referring to the frequency item

Last edited:

OCO

Capn:
I guess it depends on the size of the systems and volatility. Go into Michigan, look at the last 10 trunked systems to have changes and try to find the "green highlights" within the systems..This is the kind of thing that computers are supposed to do for us, but then I'm kind of old school.

Status
Not open for further replies.