A SWBC Senior Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8WCA

I think my first shortwave radio was a hand held Transister Radio back in apx 1960 or so
On the other desk I had a Hammarlund Super-Pro 600 SP-600-JX-21 along with a R7 and an NRD535 (Not sure what all Solid States I had at that time)

This is a photo of me apx 800 years ago! (Ok just apx 20 years ago)HQ-R390.jpg

Last edited:

GB46

I think my first shortwave radio was a hand held Transister Radio back in apx 1960 or so
On the other desk I had a Hammarlund Super-Pro 600 SP-600-JX-21 along with a R7 and an NRD535 (Not sure what all Solid States I had at that time)

This is a photo of me apx 800 years ago! (Ok just apx 20 years ago)View attachment 90870
Bet those tube radios warmed up your room a lot! The SP-600 had 20 tubes. It also weighed 65 pounds; I needed assistance carrying mine out to the car when I bought it second-hand, also when I delivered it to an eventual purchaser (which I later regretted). It was well looked after, and had a beautiful sky blue front panel. There was no cabinet, as it had been previously used for rack mounting. What I can't recall is what JX model number it had.

GB46

The gradual approach of autumn always makes me nostalgic. This time I spent an afternoon searching for shortwave interval signals that I remembered from the past. Most of the stations have since changed their program format or station name, moved from the airwaves to the internet, or closed down altogether. The remaining ones have changed their interval signals, but I wanted them as I originally heard them, and managed to find twenty.

My source was Interval Signals Online. Great site! The only problem I encountered was that the online files were all M3Us, which are playlists that my browser can't open directly. It downloads them to my hard drive instead, and I have to open them in my media player. This works, but I wanted to keep the MP3s for offline listening, so I opened the playlists in a text editor and copied the URLs, which pointed to online MP3s. Then I pasted the URLs into the browser's address bar, and once the browser started playing them, I hit pause and was able to download them. Of course, I keep those files for personal use and would never distribute them elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.