• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

a tale of two low cost DMR portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Thought I would write a non-TLDR version of a review of two low cost (sub $200) DMR radios, specifically the CSI CS-700 and Tytera/TYT MD-380.

Owning both radios, I will say this: both are fine low cost entry level choices for HAM radio use. Both radios I bought included programming cables and software (which is pretty much identical), and both are current versions hardware and firmware.

Transmit and receive performance are superb on both digital and analog. No overload problems common to low cost WOC based radios like the UV-5R, these seem to be true commercial radios (the CSI does have what appears to be a fully vetted and legit part 90 FCC certification, ID number is Y4GDR6000-2). The MD380 does not, despite the ubiquitous "FCC" logo on the rear ID tag. But we all know how these Chinese radios can be when it comes to claims of FCC certifications...

Anyway, audio quality on the air on both radios is great. There is no AGC or mike gain, but I find the audio on both analog and digital to be quite good. No one has complained and in fact I get complements on the audio. The CSI IMO has a louder AF output and is a little fuller than the MD380, but both are quite robust and can be heard well in a car with the windows rolled down at highway speeds.

Features: both scan, but the CSI does not support nuisance delete, the MD380 does. Both have user selectable high/low power, repeater/talkaround, basic encryption on digital, etc. The real feature on the MD380 is the ability to modify existing channels in the field (FPP) including color code and time slots on digital channels. Note that you cannot edit the TX/RX group lists from the keypad, but you can modify everything else without having to run back to your computer.

Bugs: both have them. The CSI has some slow scan performance, and the volume control taper is a little strange. The MD380 firmware needs quite a bit more work: the display does not scroll and truncates long channel/zone names, alert tones (including talk permit) is either all or nothing, no day/nigh mode for display backlight color.

Battery life: no complaints, the MD380 seems to last slightly longer but both are about the same. They last me a couple of days of 8+ hours of mostly RX with light TX.

None the less, I like both radios equally well. I am enjoying them. One or the other is usually with me now.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Nice review.

When you say "The CSI has some slow scan performance," does that mean you think the MD-380 is a bit faster/better on scan?

FYI I think the CS700 has nuisance delete now in the most current firmware (literally days old).

Dan

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the reviews, helps when deciding what DMR radio to buy. If you are able to , looking forward to possible reviews of more DMR radios.

Thanks for your input, it's really appreciated!!.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Nice review.

When you say "The CSI has some slow scan performance," does that mean you think the MD-380 is a bit faster/better on scan?

It does seem like the 380 scans slightly faster. But I have also just downloaded and installed the latest firmware (and new CPS 1.25) for the 700, so maybe they've improved that.

Really happy to have nuisance delete on the CS-700, makes passive scanning of systems much easier.

DanRollman

Database Admin
IReally happy to have nuisance delete on the CS-700, makes passive scanning of systems much easier.

Does nuisance delete on the CS700 just temporarily delete a specific Group from your RX Receive list (which would be useful when monitoring a trunked system) or does it delete the entire channel from your Scan list (which would then drop a needed trunked channel from your system scan)?

Status
Not open for further replies.