A Thread For The Digitally Challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I had a myriad of problems that forced me to shelve my radio hobby (for the most part) in 2004 (hurricanes, family tragedy, divorce, relocation, etc) so when I made the decision to get back into it a few years later I was behind the technological 8-ball. The first new digital scanner I bought was the BCD436HP and I was lost. A whole new format. SD cards? A whole different way to program. I found I wasn't able to concentrate on it and I ended up frustrated and sending it back to Scanner Master. Then, a couple years later I found myself wanting to give it another try - I was going to master this new digital technology. I went out and purchased 3 digital scanners at once - the BCD536HP, WS-1065, and the TRX-1. I bought rooftop antennas and 2 Stridsberg multi-couplers (4&8) and did the whole install, vhf/uhf/hf (wire for my R75, vertical for 2m/440). Of course, the programming was a learning curve that I thought I was ready for, but I overwhelmed myself with 3 different protocols. Long story short, I was tutored by a great guy here on the Forums named troymail (since passed on) and I learned the scanners and the programming software and how to set up my desk once again. I considered myself 'digitally challenged' until now. I currently own both the SDS100 and the SDS200 and I am forever grateful to good ol' troymail for his patience and understanding as he worked with me in emails, over the phone, and here on the Forums to master the new technology. I might sometimes be categorized in the Senior Citizen department, but I am no longer categorized as Digitally Challenged. That does not mean I do not have questions. The difference is I understand it now.

I guess my message for this thread is for those feeling overwhelmed with the technological advances in our scanning hobby and thinking about giving it up. So many times I hear of others doing what I did, sending the scanner back to the retailer and throwing your hands up in despair and confusion and I just feel the need to say - don't do it. Once past the learning curves, and once you have learned all of the nuances and quirks of the individual software programming interfaces, you will find the hobby as satisfying as ever. True, digital public safety is going thru some changes, but overall monitoring is just as much fun for me as it was in the 70s and 80s. Maybe moreso with the challenges of digital monitoring. I just buckled down and looked at it like I would have a new job - I had 3 weeks training to learn this new stuff, and I focused on it and conquered it.

For those feeling overwhelmed by all of it, just slow down and focus. This forum is a great place to ask questions and get information - use it. Throw those questions out there and someone will reply. Whatever you do, don't give up!

If this old man can do it, anybody can ;)

JD
kf4anc

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
JD,
Thanks for sharing your story. I've heard the same story many times myself and I remind everyone in your old boat that once you can get over the new technology, in the end it still comes down to turning on a radio and enjoying what you are listening to.

Drake-r8

I had a myriad of problems that forced me to shelve my radio hobby
Glad to see I'm not the only one! I bought my PRO-2004 in the late 1980's and boxed it up in the mid 1990's. I've recently retired and unboxed it, planning to get back into the hobby - hey, at least the radio works great! I was planning on getting a BCD996P2 but most of the reviews highlight the harsh learning curve. My question is this - is it still possible to enter (without much difficulty) a bunch of conventional freq's to have something to listen to while scaling the learning curve? Thanks to TailGator911 for instilling some hope.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
WIth today's complex digital-capable scanners, the learning curve is quite steep. It's my belief that most of this is due to scanners becoming ever more reliant on computerization, which yields many more possible features and sophistication than ever before. Just compare a Uniden SDS200 to the PRO-2006. Regardless, to master modern radios, it becomes necessary to only focus your efforts on learning what is absolutely necessary to operate your scanner to the level you require. I've owned my 996xt for over five years and there remain several features I've never explored and probably never will. The challenge is even greater when you own scanners requiring different programming software as I do.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My question is this - is it still possible to enter (without much difficulty) a bunch of conventional freq's to have something to listen to while scaling the learning curve?

Absolutely, it is possible. Just think of it as on-the-job-training and dedicate a week (or two as needed) and focus and learn the programming software. Once you are familiar with it, it's a breeze like anything else you've had to teach yourself. Questions pertaining to that scanner and its software can be directed to the appropriate section here in the forums, and people who own the 992 and the software can help you out. Unfortunately, I do not own any versions of the 992 therefore I wouldn't be of any help to you. All I can say is - patience, Grasshopper :) don't worry, you'll get it.

JD
kf4anc

cwbonn

This post is very much appreciated.

I may be one of the "younger guys" here but I grew up with scanners in the house ever since the 80s. My interest in scanning was passed onto me by my Father and I received an old Radio Shack Pro-94 as a Christmas gift nearly 20 years ago! Of course, since then, my area has switched over to APCO-25 and I resorted to listening on an app for the last few years and the ol' 94 gathered dust in various boxes over that time. Two weeks ago, there was a high wind event and while I was fortunate enough to keep the lights on, much of the area wasn't as lucky, including the person responsible for the live scanner audio feed and the public was without that feed for about a week, including right at the height of the wind event!

Which leads me to your post! I had been researching for a few months on getting back into the hobby and that wind just blew me in the right direction. I received the SDS200 this morning and I've been tinkering with it ever since. And let me tell ya, you're 100% correct when you say that things have changed. I'll admit, there was some hesitation and second guessing once I unboxed her and started fiddling with the Sentinel software, but I have made some progress and even tinkered with some of the color settings! :LOL:

Anyway, I'm up and running now and it sounds great! (I believe mine was part of the second shipment and there is no hum!) But, there is much to learn. I created a profile here and I'm excited to learn with all of you!

Analog or digital, it's all good from here!

Carl

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Uniden made the 436 very easy to use without allot of need to program. Enter zip code, select range and select services. Start listening. Don’t own the newer models but presume this is still the case. My suggestion is start with the basics to get listening, then explore the rest. I was going to get the SDS200 but I wanted more. Went with the Icom R30. More options, more learning. The 8600 in on the list some time down the road. As was mentioned above, don’t let the new technology scare you. Plenty of good folks here to help you through the hard times. It’s worth it.

cwbonn

Uniden made the 436 very easy to use without allot of need to program. Enter zip code, select range and select services. Start listening. Don’t own the newer models but presume this is still the case.

Your presumption is correct. The SDS200 does retain the Zip Services. Makes things much easier. I started with that, but wanted to fine tune a few things and moved into Sentinel. But it can be, very much, "plug and play" if that's the route one wants to take!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Zip Services might be a good thing for some, but I like my scanners customized and fine tuned to my specifications. I've went the Zip route a time or two at random but, of course, had no idea who I was listening to or where they were. For me, the use of Zip Services would be a quick scan in the taxi while headed to the airport. I have much more fun with CloseCall in the hotels. But, I am old-fashioned in that regard, I will sit for hours and plan my route, stops, overnights, etc and load systems per county as I roll thru my agenda rather than 'plug n' play' and hope for the best.

JD
kf4anc

oldtimeradio

Holy Cow... You must be my twin brother.. .. h hi
Been doing electronics since I was 15 YO. I'm now gong on 74 and it's getting tough. I just got me self a SDS200 to play with.
It was allot easier when we had the crystal based scanners and the tough part was waiting for them crystals to be made and delivered.
Been a Ham for 53 years and in electronics my whole carrier, all frequencies. Cannot stop tinkering. I could write a book but nobody would buy it...
I really try to stay active to keep me from going nuts. I have to swear up a storm... Who designs this stuff and not tell anyone how to use it, how about an example of a simple step. Some of these YouTube videos I cannot figure out. The old man how too's work though.
Have to go play with my toys.
73's Mike W1DMX

Status
Not open for further replies.