A Uniden for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

reybo

My daughter, in her 30s, has had no contact with radio. This year she moved to an apartment overlooking a great west coast harbor. She's become entranced watching freighters, small boats, the US Navy, CG and other craft pass by. Her birthday is in early September and I want to get her a marine scanner so she can monitor 150-162MHz.

Having read a few hundred 1, 2, and 3 star reviews on Amazon suggests that some Uniden models come with fewer faults than others, or other brands. But what no one mentions, not Uniden or the reviewers, is whether the radio saves its programmed settings, and for how long, when the AC power fails.

Programming these new scanners ranges from complex to impenetrable. (I have a Sony 2010.) Not keeping those settings after all that work is absolute reason to avoid the radio.

I'm looking at a Uniden 800 (BC355N), a Uniden 500 (BC345CRS), and, for ease and simplicity, several 2-way base stations. (She has the sense never to call.)

A good base station antenna for her balcony seems to be CENTRAMATIC 1600-HC 38 VHF Tram. Steel mounting rather than plastic.

All suggestions welcome.

reybo in Virginia

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The BCT15X would be a good choice too. All modern Uniden scanners retain programming during power failures. Under Wiki at the top of the page click Radio Models to see features and compare the different scanners.

For marine only, the marine two way radios are reasonably priced and receive very well. I had one on my yacht years ago and it received stuff my scanner didn't come close too.

Last edited:

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
My daughter, in her 30s, has had no contact with radio. This year she moved to an apartment overlooking a great west coast harbor. She's become entranced watching freighters, small boats, the US Navy, CG and other craft pass by. Her birthday is in early September and I want to get her a marine scanner so she can monitor 150-162MHz.

Having read a few hundred 1, 2, and 3 star reviews on Amazon suggests that some Uniden models come with fewer faults than others, or other brands. But what no one mentions, not Uniden or the reviewers, is whether the radio saves its programmed settings, and for how long, when the AC power fails.

Programming these new scanners ranges from complex to impenetrable. (I have a Sony 2010.) Not keeping those settings after all that work is absolute reason to avoid the radio.

I'm looking at a Uniden 800 (BC355N), a Uniden 500 (BC345CRS), and, for ease and simplicity, several 2-way base stations.. (She has the sense never to call.)

A good base station antenna for her balcony seems to be CENTRAMATIC 1600-HC 38 VHF Tram. Steel mounting rather than plastic.

All suggestions welcome.

reybo in Virginia

I'm not sure if you were referring to using a couple of '2-way base stations' to talk with her over VHF radio, but I just want to point out: that it is illegal. If you want to set up some '2-way' base station communications with her, suggest you both get a code-free ham radio license. Apologize in advance if you already know that you cannot use a marine vhf radio on land.

reybo

For marine only, the marine two way radios are reasonably priced and receive very well. I had one on my yacht years ago and it received stuff my scanner didn't come close too.

Sounds like what she will appreciate. She's never shown interest in police, fire, railroad, aircraft, biz, hams, etc. Just fascinated watching her world-class harbor. Someday she might appreciate an all-band scanner but not this year.

Do marine scanners get only the 88 or so channels from 150-162, and weather? And any recommendations? We're open on price. I want good quality gear she can attach a standard antenna like the CENTRAMATIC 1600-HC 38 to.

Status
Not open for further replies.