A very hard decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafale01010

I need a scanner that is capable of recieving the VHF/UHF MilAir band. So far, i know that the Pro-60 Pro-97 and Uniden BR330T can but its very confusing,im hearing the 97 doesnt do too well with it and the 330 is kinda out of my budget while the 60 is the steadfast choice because it doesnt have that many options being its an older scanner. Any help please?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You'll have to be a bit more specific about your requirements. All the radios you mention here are handhelds - I had heard exactly the opposite about the 97 and milair, that it worked pretty well. However, RS scanners have a primary flaw which, at least to me, disqualifies them - they can't be set up for computer control and log/record things while you are away.

Uniden didn't have that any real milair capable handhelds until the BC250/BC296 came along. You wouldn't need the digital card that comes with it, so you could get by with that - assuming you weren't interested in the 380 mhz trunks which are showing up nationwide. Unfortunately you would need to go to the BCD396 to get milair and 380 mhz trunking, and of course that's quite expensive.

I haven't heard much about how the GRE handhelds perform on milair, so that's a question to pose in that forum. Another question to ask would be whether you can change the receive mode independent of the freq. Some handhelds default to FM in the milair bands, and that's not always what you want.

Now in base land, you do have a couple of choices. The BC785 (and 796) would have the same limitation about not being able to trunk 380 mhz as their BC250/296 cousins. The same issue exists with the BCT15. But all 3 will do milair just fine (in fact, I have seen comments that suggest that the 785, BCT15 and 796 - in that order - are in favor of milair folks). Of course, you can't go wrong with the BC780 - even though it too cannot do 380 mhz milair, it's a fine starter set, with lots of software support. All of these have software support for logging and recording. For 380 mhz trunking, you're looking at the (expensive) PSR-600 and BCD996T. I've heard little about how the PSR-500 shapes up for milair...

I don't know where 'Perry' is, however, doing some research in your state's forums might turn up whether 380 mhz trunking would be important in your area. That's definitely going to play into your decision

73 Mike

rafale01010

req

I am looking more towards handheld because i like carrying my radios around, if i had enough money i might go with a mobile unit, but im sticking to handheld for now. RS is my primary suit because of its affordability and i am a proud owner of the Pro-96, which works very well. Im thinking bout a 97 some has FS, but i need to think it through. Uniden would be nice but they can be a bit pricy, even used ones are. I have up to $110 limit so i have enough money to pay someone back, get an antennae for MilAir purposes and 2 types of mounting setups for transportations(a "permanent" for my truck and a temp for the van for vacation), unless i could find a mounting setup that will allow 2 handhelds side-by-side though i doubt they are out there.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If you use Don Starr's software to 'unlock' it, the Pro 96 will handle military air (225-400 MHz) reasonably well already. Once unlocked, it programs just fine from the keyboard.

One of the very few 'unlockable' bands on any scanner. Some units, it's pretty good. Some, it's somewhat insensitive. Mine works quite well in Milair.

The software you need for this is the 'Win96' software found at:

http://www.starrsoft.com/

You also need a suitable cable to connect your computer to the scanner. Check the 'extended frequencies' checkbox, save to the scanner, and you now have MilAir.

N8IAA

rafale01010 said:
I need a scanner that is capable of recieving the VHF/UHF MilAir band. So far, i know that the Pro-60 Pro-97 and Uniden BR330T can but its very confusing,im hearing the 97 doesnt do too well with it and the 330 is kinda out of my budget while the 60 is the steadfast choice because it doesnt have that many options being its an older scanner. Any help please?

My 97 works quite well in the VHF/UHF milair bands. I have it programmed with regular VHF frequencies--118-137mhz AM mode, 138-148mhz AM mode, and UHF 225-399mhz AM mode. Just today I monitored the GATORS inflight. And, some RAPTOR traffic in the 142mhz AM mode. Use a Larsen dualband(144/440mhz)antenna. For portable, a dualband ht antenna.
Larry

rafale01010

hey

Skip
That is the software i use to program my 96, i just didnt know what "extended frequencies" was so i never messed with it because i didnt need to mess up anything i had. So if i do that i guess i wont need to buy an extra scanner, maybe i will have enough to get a ham radio at a good price. Will this let the scanner search the band without it skipping from 216 to 406mhz when i hit the up button? That just saved me a bundle right there now i can listen to MilAir without putting more money on something that my scanner can already do. Thanks a lot this advice was much appreciated.:D

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
rafale01010 said:
Before i forget, will the mode be AM/FM for that part of the spectrum?

Most of it will be AM mode. Some National Guard VHF air frequencies are in FM mode. As N8IAA said, the PRO-97 is an excellent MilAir scanner.

rafale01010

thanks

If i can get away without having to get another scanner, i will probably go with that to save me some money for accesories for my scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.