aa recharagble batteries question

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank125

hello lookinf for some new aa recharagle batteries can someone tell me if you have used any of these batteries and were they good or junk lenmar 2700mah power ex 2700mah tennergy 2600mah ultra pro 2700mah thanks for any help. currently using energizer2500mah.

jackj

Most of those won't test out at their labeled capacity. My experience has been that anything rated over 2000 Mah is a product of creative copy writing.

OfficerEven

Is it possible to purchase just a "shell" for the battery pack? I guess I would like to purchase batteries as necessary and swap out dead cells with ease.

UvGotIssuesToo

Premium Subscriber
I'm alternating a set of Lenmar 2000mAh NiMH and Lenmar 2500 mAh NiMH in one scanner and get a couple hours more use out of the 2500's. The 2500's will usually last at least 10 hours of continuous use. Another scanner alternates some Duracell 1800 mAh & 2650 mAh...both sets are less than a year old and don't last more than a few hours. I like the Lenmar's because the Fry's store near me sell them in a 10 pack for $20...and they work decently for my needs.

FRYS.com | Lenmar

Boatanchor

hello lookinf for some new aa recharagle batteries can someone tell me if you have used any of these batteries and were they good or junk lenmar 2700mah power ex 2700mah tennergy 2600mah ultra pro 2700mah thanks for any help. currently using energizer2500mah.

These things are awesome!!

I have purchased about 40 of these and use them in everything from kids toys, cameras and various radios:

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy AA LSD 2200mah Low Self Discharge (ready to use)

They are cheaper than Eneloops, test very well in my Maha 9000 charger (always at least 2250mAh) and best of all, you can charge them up and leave them in your scanner for 6-12 months and still have excellent charge remaining when you go to use it again. IMHO, you can't really go wrong with the Turnigy cells.

All those other cells may have slightly higher capacity initially, but they also have very high self discharge rates. I'd go with the Turnigy, Sanyo Eneloop or some other LSD style AA.

jackj

One problem with the low self discharge cells is that they don't give good performance in high rate discharge service. They work very well with low or intermittent use like remote controls, clocks or cameras but they won't give good performance in toy cars and the like. I'm going to pick up a set of regular NiMH cells and try them in my PSR-800 to see if I can get more than the 8-10 hrs per charge that the eneloops give me.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I vote for the Sanyo Eneloop batteries that is what I use and recommend it.

nanZor

A good way to choose is to first look at how you use the scanner.

If you listen all day, day in day out, then the low-self-discharge types may not be best for this application since they typically top out at 2300 mah capacity. In this case, regular high-capacity nimh's, like 2500's / 2700's would be ideal - but with their higher level of self-discharge, if you don't use them for a week, they will basically be at the 2300mah level mark just sitting around. :)

Basically, for regular nimh - the higher the capacity, the higher the self discharge. If you use them right away, you'll get the most out of them.

Low-self-discharge is fine for scanning - and ideal if you only listen casually. They typically top out at 2300 mah or so, but will retain what they have for a longer time, so if you do casual listening every now and then, they are ideal whereas with regular nimh's and casual scanning, you'll be recharging much more often.

Energizer's regular-nimh rode the high-capacity wave starting a few years ago, but due to high self-discharge, or low cycle-rate problems, they have been dropping their regular nimh capacities back to 2300 mah. Their current Chrome-green rechargeables at 2300mah are actually doing great service when tested on a Maha. Anything higher in capacity, or old shelf-queens like the silver-green (easy to confuse with the chrome-green packaging), 2450's, 2500's or higher is something I'd avoid if you see them around from Energizer - unless you get them at a fantastic price and don't mind just burning through them.

I personally have not had much luck with Lenmar, and stick to the CURRENT 2300mah chrome-silver energizers for regular nimhs, or low-self discharge like Sanyo Eneloops or Powerex Imedions (the LSD versions of the regular Powerex). I have not tried Tenergy brands. I use Powerex 2700's for regular nimhs' but ONLY if I'm going to use them right away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ensnared

Battery Recommendation

As far as long shelf life goes, I prefer Lenmar 2700's and/or Sanyo Eneloops. When I've used Energizers, they don't hold a candle to these batteries regarding how long they hold a charge.

Amazon.com: sanyo eneloop: Electronics

nanZor

As far as long shelf life goes, I prefer Lenmar 2700's and/or Sanyo Eneloops. When I've used Energizers, they don't hold a candle to these batteries regarding how long they hold a charge.

The new 2300 Chrome-Green packaged Energizers are quite good. Their older and higher-capacity versions had issues (silver-green, 2450, 2500, 2600, etc). While I'm fond of the LSD Sanyo Eneloops, these NEW regular Energizers with chrome-green packaging seem to be in the middle ground between a regular nimh and low-self-discharge type. I was very surprised - I think Energizer finally found a winning formula for regular nimh's. They test out very well on my Maha C9000 analyzer. They seem to be holding up very well to real-world usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.