AACo new encrypted comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgfitzs

Just heard a brief encrypted comm on my BCD996T. Location was near the end of mountain road in Pasadena (Gibson Island). I didn't get the entire TGID, but it was 32XXX. This can't be good. I've got this sinking feeling that I just spent $500 on an expensive weather radio and that the county will be encrypting all TGs with their new APCO25 radios. They could easily do it. I've heard a lot of traffic on North or East TGs, can't remember which ones, relating to getting new radios.

TinEar

It was probably just 32208 which has been used since about the day AA County went to this new set of freqs. It's the narcotics squad and has always been encrypted. Not to worry. There are a couple of encrypted talkgroups for the fire department also.

The only new thing we've seen recently have been some digital talkgroups (17XXX) on the police side but they aren't encrypted.

Alan

sgfitzs

thanks for the reply. I'm sure it wasn't the NARC TG since I have this TG programmed (scanner is always in search mode so I can identify new TGs) and hear it once in a while. I'll start recording new TGs and mode, analog, digital, digital (enc). They can encrypt everything except North/South/East/West and the aux TGs since these are, in my opinion, the most interesting to listen to. I listen to HowardCo and they seem to be fairly selective in what they encrypt. Hopefully, AACo will follow suit.

troymail

Silent Key
Alan's correct - there have been a number of encrypted TGs -- all above 32xxx - since the last change over (almost two years?).... Most are not used except the encrypted narcotics TG.

However, I do expect more encrypted TGs to become active when the digital switch occurs (just before or after). I believe the basic TGs (N/W/S/E) will be ok and basic fire stuff as well....

We'll see.... rumor has it digital switch over is sometime between this fall and next summer....

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't worry too much about encryption... Encryption is an fairly expensive option on Moto radios, the additional circuitry consumes extra power, and I've heard that it is not always reliable... so for safety concerns alone, I don't expect ENC to be widely used by line PO's and FF's.

CA
Annapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.