AAR Narrowband Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

byndhlptom

This site may help everyone under stand what the RR are doing, radio wise. As has been discussed previously, it's a two step process:

1) transition to narrow band now
2) transition to NXDN later

AAR Radio Frequency Migration

The site has other interesting info, have a look....

Hope this helps and apologies if this has been previously submitted.

tom

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
There is currently no requirement to migrate to NXDN.

Where I work, the narrowband conversion is nearly complete, if not totally complete.

They have been deploying NXDN radios en masse, and where I work, radios are coming out programmed for digital. I would wager that you will soon start hearing tests of NXDN Digital. Soon meaning in the next couple of years. Long before any requirement for further narrowbanding.

byndhlptom

AAR narrowband

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough...

Narrowband conversion in process to meet 2013 FCC deadline.

transition to NXDN to meet the next very narrowband mandate (2025ish?). The AAR decided that NXDN is how they will meet the tighter spec.

information both from the site mentioned (AAR official site) and several sources in the industry

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Sorry, I wasn't specific enough...

Narrowband conversion in process to meet 2013 FCC deadline.

transition to NXDN to meet the next very narrowband mandate (2025ish?). The AAR decided that NXDN is how they will meet the tighter spec.

information both from the site mentioned (AAR official site) and several sources in the industry

Ah... I've got ya...

We've known that the railroads are going to NXDN for about a year now. In the last few years, a couple of Class 1 RR's have gone from issuing Analog HT's (TK-2180 and equivalent) to issuing NXDN HT's.

In cab radios have been showing up as "Tri Band" radios. I believe that we will start seeing NXDN rather soon.

NCCEOG

Compliant Radios

I am affiliated with a small railroad that is looking at new radios...... What cab and HT nxdn radios (specific make and model) is everyone using and how are they working?

Thanks

DODGEIT

Icom and Kenwood are the two companies making NXDN capable radios. As for specific models I don't know which ones they are using. Do a google search for NXDN radios from Icom and from Kenwood.

DPD1

Kenwood NX-700 in a mobile, and NX-210 in handheld are probably the most popular getting installed lately. They do both analog and digital. I think the F5121D mobile is getting used from Icom sometimes.

Last edited:

Steve

Has anyone heard any NXDN use by Norfolk Southern? Here is Alabama "reportedly" starting this month, NS was switching to the new narrowband channels. So far I can still hear the old channels good as well as the new channels. NS has been using P25 at their "big" yard in Irondale (Norris yard east of Birmingham sort of) with occasional use by units outside of Norris yard.
I just hope that when the NXDN switch happens that encryption isn't adopted as well (probably everybody's hope).

K4NNW

Has anyone heard any NXDN use by Norfolk Southern? Here is Alabama "reportedly" starting this month, NS was switching to the new narrowband channels. So far I can still hear the old channels good as well as the new channels. NS has been using P25 at their "big" yard in Irondale (Norris yard east of Birmingham sort of) with occasional use by units outside of Norris yard.
I just hope that when the NXDN switch happens that encryption isn't adopted as well (probably everybody's hope).

Not I. So far, I've heard all analog in Roanoke, VA and towards South Boston, VA as well.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

It would be a logistical nightmare to use encryption on the railroad.

I seriously doubt it will happen.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
There was a link not too long a go that had the current AAR channels and then a list of the new frequencies in narrowband. For the life of me now I can't find it. I looked through the link above and can't find it. Does anyone have that? Thanks Kevin

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I don't remember if it was that or not but that is what I am looking for. Does this follow the same pattern as the current channels? IE is the old CH7 the new 107? Thank you very much. kevin

No... The old channel 07 is still channel 07... but on locomotive radios, it is identified as 007

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
around here i did test for ex: NARROW BAND 160.92750 BM AAR 154 is new channel for WIDE BAND 160.920000 54/54

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
around here i did test for ex: NARROW BAND 160.92750 BM AAR 154 is new channel for WIDE BAND 160.920000 54/54

They are different frequencies...

154 is between 054 and 055. They still use the existing frequencies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber

AAR has clearly stated no encryption. It'd be impossible all things considered.

NS has had it's modification applications to it's nationwide FCC licenses approved to reflect both 12.5 FMN and 6.25 NXDN. They are now licensed for both. Date is still supposed to be the same for the NXDN change, 2018. I'm still betting it gets pushed back though. Same for CSX, Amtrak, and most of UP.

Last edited:

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I was playing with my 796D to program the Narrowband frequencies. I looked at the article linked in the first post but am confused ( as with everything when it comes to this) on what the steps should be. Is it 12.5 or 7.5? My scanner would not except the frequency to the 4 digit ie 160.2225 set at 12.5. It rounded it to .225. With the step set at 7.5 it went in fine. I also just noticed that the frequency goes out to 5 after the decimal. does that 5th number matter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.