AAR Standard Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ambulance2014

I am wondering if there is anybody out there that have narrowed it down to what channels are used in Calgary on the AAR Channels and what there channel Description is. I do receive frequency 160.4850 quite frequently but don't know if it a channel here in Calgary or what its description is to know what they are talking about?

Any railroad Scannerists out there I would appreciate it if you could help me out . Also how often does anybody here the MacLeod Frequencies on the Pacific railway frequency's ?
and what doe the following mean ?

RTC Authorities
RTC Call in
Utility

What do these channels Mean in there descriptions?

VE6E0

I am wondering if there is anybody out there that have narrowed it down to what channels are used in Calgary on the AAR Channels and what there channel Description is. I do receive frequency 160.4850 quite frequently but don't know if it a channel here in Calgary or what its description is to know what they are talking about?

If you are serious about railroad scanning, you should either get your hands on an employee timetable (example is here http://www.mapleleaftracks.com/files/free/Rogers Pass Documents.pdf ) or get a copy of the Canadian Trackside Guide published by the Bytown group. ( BRS Sales Desk )

Any railroad Scannerists out there I would appreciate it if you could help me out . Also how often does anybody here the MacLeod Frequencies on the Pacific railway frequency's ?

Depends on how often there are trains and MOW (maintenance of the way) crews on the subdivision.

RTC Authorities
RTC Call in
Utility

No sure what the RTC authorities channel is used for, though I strongly suspect it is used for track occupancy permits. The sub division appears not to have CTC lights, therefore it is controlled by the RTC (rail traffic controller), who blocks portions of the track, for rail movements or MOW.

RTC call in, is a channel, which crews use to call the RTC. Generally they use it to ring the RTC in Calgary, then communicate back on the train standby channel.

Utility is a repeater system used by the MOW crews. Allowing them to communicate among themselves and connect via a patch to other departments of the railway.

Once again, any corrections would be appreciated.

Cheers

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber

RTC Authorities
RTC Call in
Utility

Greg was sort of right.

The Authorities channels are more used on OCS (Occupancy Control System) territories, where train movements are controlled by handwritten clearances rather than signals (CTC.)

As giving a train a clearance can sometimes be rather lengthy, the RTC will ask the crew to switch to the authorities channel to give them their clearance and not tie up the train standby channel.

I'm not exactly sure how the authorities channel is used in CTC territory, as I mainly worked OCS desks during my short time as an RTC with Canadian Pacific.

Just dug out my Alberta Region ETT... For Calgary Terminal, CP4 is the Train Standby channel for all four subdivisions that meet in Calgary (Laggan, Red Deer, Macleod and Brooks.) These channels only apply within cautionary limits.

For Train Standby outside of CL, the Laggan, Macleod and Brooks Subs use CP1. (B/E CTC limits west of SNS Sunalta for the Laggan sub, east of SNS Sheppard (the intermodal yard on the east end of town) on the Brooks Sub and south of SNS Midnapore on the Macleod Sub and on south to where it becomes the Aldersyde sub south of High River. The Red Deer Sub also switches to CP1 north of SNS Zoo -- many foamers think the channel switches at the CTC limits at SNS Airdire, but it's well south of where it switches from CTC to OCS.)

The two CTC territories (Laggan and Brooks subs) use CP7 for authorities, while the Macleod Sub uses CP86 and the Red Deer Sub uses CP5.

Here's the frequencies:

CP1: 161.475
CP4: 161.115
CP5: 161.325
CP7: 161.535
CP86: 160.965

Like I said, I used to be an RTC for Canadian Pacific. If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber

omrail

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.