Abbotsford Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go4Long

Premium Subscriber
New to scanning, just picked up a Uniden BCD325P2 and have been programming it slowly for the airports around me.

I'm heading to Abbotsford Airshow next weekend and looking to get as many frequencies as I can find in to it.

Anyone know what frequencies the VMFA 122 Super hornet guys and the F-16 demo might be likely to use at the show? F-35's?

Air boss (I've got 123.1 and 123.3) and ground?

BC_Scan

While a search would possibly tell you that, or in the wiki, every year i have gone i have found the comms easily, search 225 -375 mhz during operations.
The volunteers that put on the show use rental radios, UHF 451-470, the ham volunteers have a repeater on 146.61, also to look for is the Comox military ground support , in the past they have used VHF on 149.800, search between 149.0-150.0 for actual.Also when there are static displays, if there is a ramp up to plane and you can cosy up, look in cockpit many time as small paper byis on the dash so to speak with operating freqs.
I would also be using close call as you might uncover interesting stuff. CYXX Abby fire has switched to TRBO 460.7875, City fire is 154.89 and Ambulance aka EHS is 149.83, 149.44 or 149.68. Lots to listen to , I would be dedicating a bank just to that for your trip. If I find anything different I will post that here.

Go4Long

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I did search for Abbotsford Airshow, that's what lead me to Radio Reference in the first place. It just took me to the main airshow page with The Snowbirds frequencies and the like.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a go, or just leave close call on and see what pops up.

I assume that before the show's NOTAM is up everyone would just be calling to land on the normal CYXX Airport frequencies?

BC_Scan

What I have noticed is that they use the normal published frequencies, for operations as the Airport is opened for regularly scheduled flights, there could be a small break in between demo's and a WestJet will take off/arrive,or as this airport serves as a home base for many of the Airtankers serving BC's forest fire's going on right now. Has been hazy in the Lower Mainland all week, including special advisory for air quality for the Fraser Valley, right in the middle where CYXX is located, so if that haze is still there during the Airshow, it might put a damper on the whole show.
Depending on when you arrive the whole week preceding the show there will be opportunity to hear the call signs of the various planes flying in. Enjoy!

Go4Long

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it was pretty smokey in Springbank last weekend as well. Such is life.

Not my first time around airshows (I've been to them all over North America and the U.K.) just my first time with a scanner.

I was just hoping someone had seen the VMFA-122 Super Hornet or the F-16 demo before and knew what frequency they might be on...but if close call is it, then close call it is.

Go4Long

Premium Subscriber
Caught Penticton last night. Confirmed that the Snowbirds were on 272.1. They did a shortened show with no solo routine, so wasn't able to see any other frequencies for them. Briefly caught a comment from the hornet, but wasn't quick enough to the scanner to see what frequency it came from.

mciupa

Database Admin
These have been logged around Canada:

Code:
116.00000 	   	 	BM		Snowbirds	Snowbirds 	AM 	Aircraft 
246.50000 	   	 	BM		Snowbirds	Snowbirds 	AM 	Aircraft 
272.10000 	   	 	BM		Snowbirds	Snowbirds 	AM 	Aircraft 
333.30000 	   	 	BM		Hornets	        Hornets            AM  Aircraft 
268.00000 	   	 	BM		Tiger Ops	Tiger Ops 	AM 	Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.