• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Abbree AR-F8

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I was recently given this HT by a friend. His father had recently bought it but then passed before he got to even open the box.

I programmed it via software like I would any radio - it transmits all day long but it it's either deaf or I have something set wrong. Even with a tone set, it displays that it's receiving (I'm assuming that all it's receiving is dead air static), it even shows on the meter on display that it's receiving and the receive light is turned on.

Any idea what I'm missing?

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Yep - works fine, then again that's via VFO... seems the problem is only on programmed frequencies.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Actually it's just simplex.... all the other radios are set to send/receive via tone, so this is set the same way.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I'll give it a whirl, but I am 100% sure it's the right tone (I do all the radio programming here and use just one tone).

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
LOL I think the receiver on this thing is shot... I removed the receive tone and all it did was open the squelch 100% - all static... No matter what I set squelch at it flooded me with hiss.

K9RPL

Maybe a factory reset might bring it back. Short of that these things are essentially disposable anyway. I have three CCR's and all work great but if one dies I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

v700

I bought one of these and it did not come with software.

Seller referred me to to a fake website to download software, bit it has malware/virus.

Does anyone have good programming software? It comes with a cable, but is useless so far w/o software.

Website he refers me too pretends to be the actual mfr, but it is FAKE, as are the phone number and email address.

Really want to get to use my radio.

Golay

LOL I think the receiver on this thing is shot... I removed the receive tone and all it did was open the squelch 100% - all static... No matter what I set squelch at it flooded me with hiss.

Didn't you say on Halloween that it's receiving the weather channels just fine?

kg4edy

I just purchased the same radio from Amazon, but ordered the programming cable and software from RT Systems. Had no trouble at all creating a file and uploading to the radio. It transmits and receives just fine. My only issue: I can't figure out how to enable DTMF tones. There are no tones heard over the air when I try the keypad, and the online Help file doesn't mention it.

speedoSpriggan

Premium Subscriber
I just received an ar f8 by abbree is this thing any good and should i bother with programming it and does anyone have a walkthrough for this radio? Please advise

Hi Speedo:

I have had my Abbree AR-F8 for over three weeks now and all I have been able to receive is commercial broadcast FM radio (and I'm not really sure how I accomplished this) and local NOAA weather radio. I programmed it as recommended by multiple sources using Chirp, but all I ever get is silence; not even static. And, for the life of me. I cannot figure out what that "salamander" symbol is that usual sits next to the MAIZN (MAIN) symbol. Can you or anyone else help me actually receive/hear HAM radio signals? I have made multiple google searches and watched numerous YouTube videos and I am just not there. I was/am intending to get my FCC technician's license with this radio but I am about ready to give up. The Abbree manufacturer has not responded to my request for assistance and I am at my wits end. Please help

Thank you.

0perat0r

Hi! First time poster but I think I have this one cracked. I also programmed this with CHIRP set for Wouxun KG-UV8D and also could not get even NOAA audio despite the LCD clearly showing reception. For me the issue was that the "PF2" setting (which programs the button below the PTT button) was set to "DISABLE;" I had not touched that setting prior. I factory reset the radio (and then set it back to English) and found that this button was set to "MONI" (apparently for "monitor"). I re-uploaded my CHIRP config with all the channels, set PF2 back to MONI and now after I start the radio *and* hit that PF2 button I can hear a signal (imagine that). FWIW there is also a STYLE setting that lets you change the theme on the LCD. I'm still not sure what the deal with the compass view is and I definitely have a different firmware than what's described in my v1.0 manual but for the price I think this thing is pretty neat and I kind of like that it's a bit of a puzzle.

0perat0r

Hi! First time poster but I think I have this one cracked. I also programmed this with CHIRP set for Wouxun KG-UV8D and also could not get even NOAA audio despite the LCD clearly showing reception. For me the issue was that the "PF2" setting (which programs the button below the PTT button) was set to "DISABLE;" I had not touched that setting prior. I factory reset the radio (and then set it back to English) and found that this button was set to "MONI" (apparently for "monitor"). I re-uploaded my CHIRP config with all the channels, set PF2 back to MONI and now after I start the radio *and* hit that PF2 button I can hear a signal (imagine that). FWIW there is also a STYLE setting that lets you change the theme on the LCD. I'm still not sure what the deal with the compass view is and I definitely have a different firmware than what's described in my v1.0 manual but for the price I think this thing is pretty neat and I kind of like that it's a bit of a puzzle.

And now I realize this just means there is an issue with squelch control.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
It's really a damned shame that the maker of this radio didn't put a little more attention to detail - it's a poor execution of a good idea.

0perat0r

Try playing with the SP-MUTE and SMUTESET settings? I have a working radio now, I'm not exactly sure what made the difference. R-CTC and R-DCS were already off, I set SP-MUTE to QT*DTMF and I could hear 162.400 as a named channel programmed in with CHIRP but maybe the radio just chose that exact moment to start working. I'm good with computers but new to radios. CHIRP is definitely overwriting some configuration settings so for now I'm programming channels in with that and changing the settings manually (but many of them seem to be per-channel settings).